Thursday, September 01, 2005

Why do people say things that aren't true? And why do they say things about other people that aren't true? I'm caught in something unpleasant right now that's due to someone's apparent desire to create a problem for me. This is not unusual in my life but is usually limited to my work situation. Now it's happening in my personal life, which is most upsetting, and it's messing with my family. I need to find peace at least somewhere!

I have great peace and happiness in my social life, full of good friends and much activity. This is the time of year when there are many people, many invitations, lots of good times. Last night I had dinner with Linda and Erdvilas, who had invited two artists I really like. Sue & Terry have a gallery and used to sell my baskets, were in fact the first I ever asked to sell my baskets for me, and were always very nice and encouraging about it. They had their kids with them, who are no longer kids but are now in high school and are very nice people. I really enjoyed the evening and wasn't even the last to leave, as I usually am. Linda asked me to get the wine, which is a huge amount of pressure to put on me because E. knows so very much about wine and is terribly critical of others' wine choices. She said to get something Italian, so I did, and he was very pleased with my choices. I got a red from Sicily and a white from somewhere else that was a different type of wine I'd never had before. Whew!

Tonight I'm having dinner with a couple from California. He's written (and published) several young adult novels and is very quiet. She's very nice and is a former camper. Her brother owns the camp where they're staying and is one of "The Boys." Ken and Bill will also be there as well as the women from Baltimore. I actually turned down a dinner invitation the other night, retreating to my home for some privacy. Saturday night there's a dinner and vodka tasting at Linda's with some of Bill's friends. Sunday is Sunday dinner at Linda's and a pig roast at a friend's house. I'd like to skip the pig roast but it's a woman from my book group and we try to be supportive of each other so I should go. We'll see.

My friends the Holts may come this weekend and may stay with me. I haven't heard back from them, but they left a message a few days ago saying they were coming and needed a place to stay. I left a message saying they were welcome to stay with me and they can stay in the boat house. Now I have to figure out something about the food. I don't know who, if anyone will be in camp. I don't have much money for groceries but will have to get supplies enough for breakfast and lunch, and will need to figure out something about dinners. Would be nice to know how many meals and which ones, wouldn't it? Or even if they're really coming.

I've been watching videos on my computer here at work about the mess in New Orleans--BBC has the best, I think, and it's incredibly discouraging and awful. Truly amazing that America is having a tragedy like this. Caught unprepared, not believing that something like this would ever happen to us. Meanwhile, the price of gas on my way home ranged from $2.95 to $3.25 last night. This game of "How high can it go" is getting pretty tiresome.

1 comment:

  1. I can't go to the Roast, so if you do, you have to eat for me, okay?

    ReplyDelete