Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter update

I went to Rhode Island for Easter, as always.  Jenica went with me, which made the trip far more interesting than usual.  We talked and talked.  About libraries a lot.  I always enjoy visiting with Jen.

We had a relaxing and very nice visit.  Got there Friday, home on Monday.  In between we ate candy, lobsters, lamb, bagels, lox, more candy.  It was great.  Jenica and I suspended our point counting for the duration.  So did Mark.  His points have to do with cholesterol, not weight watching.

M & I walked the dogs in the morning, sneaking up on an Easter sunrise service on Sunday morning.  Oops.  Fortunately we noticed the congregation BEFORE the dogs did.  Tess would have begged to be part of the group.  Or the object of their worship.  Or something.  Chances would have bumped into someone & said "Excuse me, I didn't see you."

We went pansy shopping, as always.  Lots of choices, pretty little blossoms.  There were lots of things in bloom everywhere--tons of forsythia, some rhodedendron, some redbud, daffodils, and something that turned out NOT to be witch hazel.

We looked at the Rockwell Kent books my mother has, most of which were my fathers.  Some are inscribed from RK to my father, "To young Spaulding Rogers from old Rockwell Kent," and another inscription describing my father's brilliance.  RK liked Spaulding, and S. found R to be a huge comfort in the intellectual wasteland that was his home. 

When I got home the muddy driveway wasn't too bad and the snow was almost gone.  There were patches in the woods, but now (Thursday) I think all snow is gone.  We've had warm weather (70) and lots of rain, which sent the snow a'packin'.  Even more wonderful is that the ICE WENT OUT at Silver Lake yesterday.  My first glimpse of open water by the boat house made me think of summer in an instant.  Hard to believe wiinter has ended/is ending.  Spring is here--early spring, but spring nevertheless.  I slept with my bedroom window open last night, listening to the rain.  The cat loves it because she can come & go through the screen.  Does she have any idea what a lucky cat she is?  Doubtful, though she does like it when I come back from a trip.

I've walked down to camp a couple of times, enjoying the fact that I'm the first one there and that it's still there, looking fine.  The road down there is in terrible shape, lots of washed-out ruts from heavy run-off, plus 2 trees down across the road.  Wish I had a chain saw to clean up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment