Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend bog

013 by woodsrun
013, a photo by woodsrun on Flickr.

Walked the bog yesterday morning with the dogs. Before the black flies woke up. This is what the tamaracks look like now. They look like conifers but are really deciduous trees. They're tiny leaves look like needles but are soft.

This is Tamarack Green, widely known in the North Country. "That obscene green." Very bright and pretty. Tamaracks (aka larches) turn a beautiful gold in the fall and are just about the last thing to color, when there's nothing else to see.

The black flies are healthy and hungry. I had lots of outdoor time over the weekend & they are fer shure out. My cousins were here and worked on the camp road for hours. Stirring up the mud, which really gets the black flies 'a pumpin'. They couldn't believe how bad it was (the cousins, not the black flies).

I walked to Fred's camp on Saturday and there was enough of a breeze to deter the flies, so it was a really nice walk. We sat on his porch and drank rum while the dogs swam, rolled, poked around under the porch and lay in his lilly beds. oops. He's very proud of his lilies.

I planted a bunch of lilies on Sat., too. I always fall for the 'buy one get one free" deal so I have about 50 lilies to plant. I'm running out of good places to put them. These are Asiatic and oriental lilies, plus a few day lilies (All Summer Long collection). Some of the lilies I planted last year have actually come up this year. Will wonders never cease.

I opened the boat house yesterday. Or started to. The water's not in at camp so I can't wash everything that needs it, will have to bring things home. But the road is a mess and I won't drive on it. So there you go. How industrious will I be? I hung up the hummingbird feeder. Well, I filled it first, of course. I have at least 2 male hummers at home--they fight a lot. Not a relaxing sight.

It's warm enough to sleep in the b.house now. I'm planning to stay there this weekend, at least sleep there.

No comments:

Post a Comment