Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cold winter weather

Yes, it's been cold.  And my house was miserably cold but I did manage to warm it up to the low 60's, which is warm by my standards.  I hate to go into specifics, lest people think I'm really crazy for living the way I do, but it was cold inside when it was below zero outside.  I do need a new wood stove, and I need a better heating system.  I think maybe a thermal heater, kerosene seems preferable, with an outside tank.  That's for when I get too old to burn wood.  So should I sink money into a new wood stove, or should I go straight for the Monitor?  Decisions, decisions.

I had a nice weekend, all THREE DAYS.  Sunday I hosted our neighborhood gathering for snacks.  A small group, but we had fun.  Bill brought a quiche, I furnished wine & other goodies.  I got the house relatively warm and all had a good time.  Fred bonded with Treasure and invited her to summer camp at his place this year.  Said he could teach her some manners and tricks.  Which he no doubt would be better at that I am being.

Sunday afternoon friends stopped by while they were running the roads, stayed at my house for a while then decided we should go out for dinner.  They picked me up around 6:30 and we headed to Wilmington (Wilderness--which some people like, some people DON'T like, and some people are indifferent about).  We ate in the bar, where they like to hang out, and it was a nice but quiet visit.  They live in Union Falls, splitting time between their house and their camp, which has a fantastic view of Whiteface Mtn. and the water.

I got to travel for work yesterday, which was nice in spite of the weather.  It rained mostly, getting icy only at the end of the day.  I started out in Keene Valley, working with their huge map collection, then drove to Lake Placid to work with their archives.  Lk Placid has tons of great stuff, including the papers from the Lake Placid Club.  Way fun to work with.  Wish I could spend time processing or cataloging collections like that, but my director wouldn't find that appropriate use of my time I fear.

Today I have a training phone call on collection development of our soon-to-appear e-book collection.  I've been playing with the readers but haven't made a lot of progress toward becoming an expert or even someone who's adept at their use.  Must step up the pace on this.

What's up for the rest of the week?  Not much.  I have a cold, which is irritating but not (so far) debilitating.  Sunday I may go out for dinner with Bill & Fred, for perch (get it while you can).  Must go to the dump.  Must go to Holt's to do more laundry (no, my washer is still not working).  Must spend more time outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment