Friday, April 23, 2004

And now we're getting ready to wrap up the day. The clock on this blog is way off, it's now 3:35 p.m. Today went by soooo slowly. I weeded for a long time, a process made somewhat more interesting because of our new automated system. What used to be keystrokes are now mouse clicks, so it's now click click click click click instead of F1 F2 F1 F3, etc. Not sure which is faster but I think this is turning out to be faster, there's definitely less typing involved and because it's Windows-based there's a lot more retention of earlier searches, which really saves work. God bless that Bill Gates, huh. Anyway, I'm into the MA's now, past the Matthews and moving right along. I swear it will be a miracle if I ever finish the fiction.

I ate 3 donuts this morning--the obese diabetic husband of the bookmobile clerk works at Plattsburgh's most famous bakery, and to reward him for a job well done they stuffed a box full full full of fresh donuts, chocolate frosted (a particular favorite), cinnamon twisted glazed (another favorite), so I felt depressed and mildly hungry this morning, plus proud of myself for getting to work 20 minutes early, thus ate like an obese diabetic. I'm still feeling ill all these hours later. I never did have the sugar crash I expected.

Called Liza this afternoon, who was disappointed I called because she wanted to call me using her new phone card, which she got in the mail from me. I told her to call Molly sometime when she wanted to talk to her. "But she calls me with her Euro card." Yes, but this way you don't have to wait until she calls you, if you feel like talking to her you could call her first. Anyway, now she can call anyone she wants to, any time she wants to. That should be good. I'm going there for Mother's Day, in spite of the fact that we'll spend all day Saturday driving around delivering flowers. She admitted that it's better doing that with another person, which I knew she'd prefer (she's told me in the past she really doesn't like doing it). Then on Sunday we'll go plant shopping and I'll come home on Monday. A whirlwind tour. Seems to me I've been there for Mother's Day in recent years but who knows.

Made arrangements for drop off and pick up times with the kennel this weekend. Warned Joan that Jackson barks and Tess eats poop. She said they sound just like her dogs, which was a relief to me. Her dogs are so well behaved I thought she'd think my dogs were kennel scum.

And now it's 4:00 and I just got off the phone with Liza who called with some strange messages for me, not sounding in very good shape. Too bad we're all so far apart or we could be of more help to each other, I think. She wanted me to know that Henry didn't think he had heart disease, she was sure. And maybe if he'd had more tests done he would have discovered some of the things that were wrong with him. Well I'm certainly not going to be doing any thinking like that! Hell, if I'd known I couldn't have children when I was thirty maybe I'd have had a child when I was 19, who knows.

I have to go to the grocery store to buy good things to eat on the way to DC. Estimates are that there will be a million people there on Sunday. I'll believe it when I see it. It would be nice, but who knows. I also need shoelaces because my dog Tess loves to chew them up, just after she eats some toothpaste. I have used duct tape to seal off the bottom of my toothpaste tube now so that I can squeeze it to get both the white stuff and the green stuff out to get just the right mix to fight cavities AND whiten my teeth when I brush. Here are some of her favorite things (aside from poop): toothpaste, Swatches, kleenex, toilet paper (on the roll), the tabs on the heels of shoes used to pull them up, shoelaces, anything in a burnable rubbish bag, anti-eat-poop pills, bark from firewood, photographs (the more precious the better), soda cans, orange peels that Jack is chewing on (you don't eat them, you just chew the pith off of them), Christmas tree balls (a special favorite because the pop! when you chew them), handmade baskets (especially the little ones), small ceramic dog figures that are really whistles. Oh the list goes on and on.

I'm out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment