Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Magic Stick
1) Total amount of music files on your computer:I don't have music on my computer but I have the chirping of a bird, which comes on at odd times. I really like it but I'm sure it drives other people crazy.
2) The last CD you bought was:Two, actually, Bruce Springstein's The Rising and Talking Heads' Sand in the Vaseline to replace the copy that was broken when I rolled my car. Both are must-haves. Molly reminded me of how much I love love love David Byrne and Jenica reminded me of how fantastic that Springstein CD is.
3) What is the song you last listened to before reading this message? "Let's get it started," by Black-eyed Peas. But that probably doesn't really count because it was only in my head. I haven't been listening to much music, really, I've been listening to books on tape as I commute. Last book I listened to was an odd one called Aloft, by Chang-Rae. Now I'm listening to a wonderful novel by Fannie Flagg, read by her in her lilting southern accent, about life in a very small town in Alabama along a crystal clear river. I long to be there, especially today as we expect 6" (at least) of snow. It sounds like the perfect town to live in.
4) Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:5 is a lot but I can do 2 really easily: "The end of the Innocence," by Don Henley, and "Unknown Legend," by Neil Young. I like to think of myself as an unknow legend, and there are lines in each of those songs that I love. "Her long blonde hair flying in the breeze...colliding with the very air she breathes." And Don Henley--how could you not like that song? I really like the reference to "The tired old man that we elected king." Those are my all time favorites that I could listen to forever. In terms of my life, my courting songs by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young have great meaning to me for the time in my life when I listened to them--a time of discovery, and I can be swept back there immediately when I hear those voices. There are magic voices I love to here--Eric Clapton's makes me swoon, Elton John's makes me smile, Levon Helm gives me goose bumps. Almost all of my music is old, so old.
5) Who are you going to pass this stick to and why? Martha? are you ready for this?

3 comments:

  1. Man, I love The Rising. What a great talent he has...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I knew I would like what you would write.

    ReplyDelete