Monday, February 06, 2006



Catch!

I laughed harder than I've ever laughed at a dog yesterday. I've been trying to teach Tess, the 2-year old dog how to catch her dog biscuit ever since she was a puppy. I've never had a dog that can't catch, and I've had at least 8 dogs in my adult life. Every day I toss a biscuit at her and she opens her mouth but doesn't move in the direction of the biscuit. Yesterday when I tossed the biscuit at her she actually ducked. She ducked! She turned her head to the side and flinched. "Please stop throwing them at me." I laughed out loud for a full minute. If she'd been human she would have put her arms in front of her head to block the blow. What a funny dog. She has other talents, great talents. She's a true Lab, orally obsessive, and has now got up to 3 the number of items she can put in her mouth at one time when she comes to me. It's usually one glove, one sock and a stuffed animal (Puppy). This sort of talent doesn't come easy. She's also a great bird dog, and stalks the chickadees at the feeder on a regular basis, hunkering down real low on the deck when I let her out, eyeballing who's at the feeder before flying across the yard after them. She chases the squirrels way into the woods, too. She's the cuddliest dog I've ever had, and I've longed for a cuddly dog for years. She loves to lie across the back of the couch with her head draped in my lap. Her registered name is Designer's Hawkeye Tesoro. Designer is the name of the kennel she came from; Hawkeye is where I live; Tesoro means treasure in Italian; Tess is her real name. She is really a neat treasure. If I could get her to stop eating poop it would be really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment