Friday, October 27, 2006

Dream dream dream
I was just remembering my dream from last night. It was a cool one. I was in a small audience, set up like classroom seating, to hear a meeting between the President (who was not GWB--maybe that's why I liked the dream) and Leonid Bresnev. Don't you love the brain? Anyway, the bad part of the dream was when they went around the room asking everyone what they thought and I was asleep and missed my turn. Bresnev was not amused that I was asleep. How can you be asleep in your dream? Isn't that like looking into a mirror with a mirror behind you?

So that's the part I remember this late in the day. There was more but my brain decided not to hold onto it. Mercifully--there's enough crap rattling around in there already.

Beautiful fall day today, sunny and crisp. I worked 8-5 today so had an extra long lunch (wasn't due in until 9 but woke earlier than usual, up and bored so I came to work). Got all but 2 of my errands done: took broken Nikon Coolpix to Best Buy (was hoping they'd give me a new one but no, they're sending it out for repairs. Well guess what? I'm pretty sure it can't be repaired and will have to wait 2 weeks to find this out), bought wine for Sunday dinner, went to Petsmart & got bird seed & dog biscuits (will have to pass out dog biscuits if any Halloweeners come to my house--I'm not buying candy that I'll have to eat this year), went to Michaels and got supplies for Christmas presents and went grocery shopping (at--yuck, Walmart. Not surprisingly they did NOT have edamame. Rats). All that and time left over to write out Halloween cards. Which I found in my incredibly huge collection of cards. I'm going to have to STOP buying cards for various occasions, I have about 100 already. I buy ones that I really like, then can't bring myself to send them to anyone. Some in the box I've had for years and years, unwilling to part with them. I framed my favorite Wegman postcards and hung them in the bathroom. I'm sort of bored with them now, though, and would like some new ones. It seems I no longer shop in places where they're sold. I found a Bill Clinton postcard, though, which I'll put in my scrapbook. I've already filled up 2 scrapbooks and am working on my third. Lots of NYer cartoons, ticket stubs, notes I've gotten from people, nice illustrations, pictures of shoes that are beautiful beyond belief, lots of pictures of dog breeds I like. They're books I think no one but me would find interesting and I have fun gluing stuff in them. I sometimes imagine people trying to conjure up my personality by looking through them, far into the future. What an odd littler person, is what they'd conclude.

It's supposed to be rainy--and snowy at my house--all weekend. As I've said, it wouldn't be closing up for winter if it weren't 40 degrees and raining. I have to cover my firewood--have kept putting it off. There are parts of 2 piles that are soaking up the rain and won't be ready to burn for 2 years, at this point. I also have to clear the summer stuff off my deck. Table, chairs, a few pots left that had blooming plants until it got down to 27 recently.

I'll try to get to the dump on Saturday--that usually gets me motivated to do other chores. I have a running list of things to choose from anytime I feel like doing something that doesn't involve sitting on the couch. The list grows and gets funnier and funnier. I haven't included "flush the toilet," but some of the things aren't too far from that. If you put achievable goals on your list you can cross them off when you've accomplished something. I also have on my list some things I know I won't do until next spring at the earliest, if ever. Those make me laugh.

Tonight I'll stop at Ken's ("why don't we plan on that," were his parting words Weds. night). I bought him some candy to give out on Halloween, as I always do. I try to remember from year to year which ones he really likes but he never really has any leftover. He only has great-nieces and nephews who come by, and he gives each kid a huge gob of candy. One year he gave out regular-sized candy bars--that's when I knew I needed to get him bags of little candy bars, the poor man. He does get confused, but he knows it's Halloween and I told him I'd get him candy. Won't he be surprised when he discovers that I did it BEFORE Halloween!

Last weekend Tess ran off, presumably to the bog. She was gone for an hour or so and returned with a little stuffed teddy bear in her mouth. She wouldn't give it up for anything, ran around the yard and danced with it in her mouth. I don't know if she stole it from a little person, someone gave it to her or if it fell out of someone's car at the bog. Chances went out to play with her and they both disappeared--to find more bears? Anyway it's somewhere in the woods, in a secret place only Tess knows about. I once had a big black dog who brought home a small patent leather shoe one day. I assumed there wasn't a dead body in the woods, but I never did figure out what that was all about. These dogs are so very proud of their goodies.

I've finished up my Friday data base clean-up and now need to go through all the damaged books to decide what to do about them. We just started a Policy of Intolerance about lost and damaged books, which has caused quite a stir among our libraries and correctional facilities. We got back a biography of Malcolm X that has all the pictures cut out of it. hmmm. We sent out $3000 worth of bills (at $20 per book, video, audio, etc.) and got back $2000 worth of books. Honestly--these people just don't take us seriously, do they.

Ever onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment