Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Musings
This was posted to the public library listserv. Although pretty dramatic, I think the author was brave to admit her illness on such a public forum. And I really agree with what she says, although I never realized that one of the things I find offensive about "mental health days" is the use of the term.

I, too, would like to climb up on the soapbox for just a moment. In one
of the messages on this subject, someone mentioned "mental health days"
and it is to this I wish to direct my comments. As someone who has, for
many years, battled severe depression, I find this use of the term
obnoxious and demeaning (to borrow from the previous soapbox speaker).


I beg everyone to understand that for some people, a mental health day
is not a euphemism for playing hooky; it is a day lost to the life we
sometimes struggle to live.

2 comments:

  1. Yoicks.

    Yes, I hear this. But quite honestly, taking these kinds of days means, to me, a banking of some more mental health.

    Maybe they should be called Save Your Soul Days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is wrong with calling them "personal days"?

    ReplyDelete