Thursday, May 01, 2008

money in the bank


money in the bank
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Wouldn't it be nice to have this on your front lawn? "Like money in the bank," is what Ken and I say when we see firewood piles like this. I still have, maybe 3 cords of wood left--a miracle. Last year I ran out in January and had to buy some then. The wood was dry enough but each piece was encased in ice so had to sit inside for a day or two before being burned. Ken ran out this year, unheard of for him.

He's ready to start buying next year's wood (I have to call the woman. For some reason he won't make the call so I do it for him, but never remember so he's disappointed for days until I finally remember--"You can call her from here," he said last night. I should have). I'm not sure they're delivering yet. I need to buy some now too, to get it stacked & drying. A load is 4 cords and I'll buy two this spring/summer. It should be about $60/cord, way more than a couple of years ago. Way too much, but less than the $110 Liza pays. And hers is all oak, which takes longer to get burning and doesn't get quite as hot as most of what I get (birch, maple, beech). Ah, us kids and our wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment