Monday, July 14, 2008

favorite sight


favorite sight
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
For some reason I love this view. Looking down the lake from the boat house. It's funny that I like this, since what you see are other camps. I just like the way the boughs of the hemlock tree grace the view. Hemlocks are feathery and are one of my favorite trees.

Life on the lake is pretty good these days. Our camp is empty, after some cousins' week-long visit after the 4th of July, and a work weekend before that. I've been staying in the boat house a lot. It's been hot and humid, and I stay there when night temps are around 60 (is it because I'm a cataloger that I tend to live my life by absolutes?). That means I've been there a lot lately, but then the temps dipped into the 40's and I made the cat happy by staying at home.

There's a fair amount of boat traffic, especially on Saturdays. It was a wonderful dock day on Sat. I stayed home all morning because Bill's Boyz were stacking my firewood and I feel I should keep them company (they don't need to be supervised at this point). I got some gardening done, too. I got to read on the dock most of the afternoon while Jenica was here. Great stuff! Except that I was reading a preview copy of The history of the donut. My review is due today. The book was getting better, but it's awfully repetitive. There's not that much to say about the history of fried dough with a hole in the middle.

It was a busy weekend. Sat. afternoon we had a meeting of our shoreowners' association (called Hawkeye Conservationists--it started out as an organization fighting an extreme development planned in the '70s, now is just sort of a social thing) We do water testing, invasive species testing, a newsletter (that Linda and I do), we have a big treasury, we sound the alarm when someone threatens to break the rules big time. We used to sponsor sailing races, which were great. Anyway, we had our meeting with very few attendees but it was good anyway.

Last night there was a cocktail party at one of the new camps, held to what? maybe recruit new members? of the Adirondack Council, a big and very wealthy conservation organization. The Council has been a big help to us in recent times, paying for legal help in one case. It was a nice gathering, even when an hour after it started Jamie and Mrs. Jamie arrived. People from the Council had grilled me when I arrived about my connection to Jamie, then I found out why. A couple of the employees were sort of nervous. After the speeches, during the mingling I whispered to Jamie that we had to pretend we were friends to make everyone happy.

Later (after about 2/3 of a bottle of wine --yes, I know, I shouldn't drink very much) I talked to him--the turd monkey has never initiated a conversation with me--and he was pleased and his old self, like his 30 year old self. He remembers every detail of my house, which seems sort of sad but may come in handy.

Day after tomorrow I'm off to Wisconsin to reune with my high/junior high school friends. We do this every few years. There are about 14-15 of us (one year there were 18). We've all been emailing like crazy I'm looking forward to seeing them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment