Monday, July 28, 2008

Special time

I don't want to sound too sappy or goofy, but the Wisconsin trip was really special. We've all been emailing the group, waxing sentimental about how great it was to be together, what a special group we are, etc. It's all true. 17 of us, not a cross word, no complaining (that I heard). The organizers (the Midwest Group--MWG) did a wonderful job, a huge amount of work, getting it all together. They found the place, rented it, bought huge amounts of food, decided what we'd eat for each meal. The drivers figured out who would get there in which vehicles when. What a team. People like me just had to show up in the right place, wherever we were told to be, at the right time, whenever we were told to. I screwed up twice, though, and everyone had to wait for me. That was really embarrassing--I don't want to be the person people complain about. "Where is she? How can she keep so many people waiting? Is she shopping?"

When I first got home it almost felt as if I should go to work, then go home to the house we all shared. I know, dorky. We'll get together in a couple of years. Consensus is that the Midwest works probably best for everyone. Makes sense, a central spot. We've got east coast and west coast people. Plus the MWG can get and transport stuff. They've got a rhythm, it seems.

Now that I've been home a week I look at the pictures and think about how nice it was to be part of such an embracing group. We all turned out really well, nice, caring, generous women. Who do interesting things and live interesting lives. I'm the only one who lives alone and there are, I think, only 3 of us who have no children. That bothered me a lot the last times we were together but this time it was not a big deal for me. It was an issue that my life was completely different from anyone else's but now it's just the way it is.

This weekend is the Rogers family annual meeting. Another crowd I'm part of. Not as many people I enjoy being with, I'm afraid. You know how it is--you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives. I always feel this way the week before the meeting, but it gets better after the meeting. They're ALL cousins and children of cousins. My mother is the only one of her generation left. I have 11 cousins and they all have children. Most of them have grandchildren. No worry that the family will become extinct, but there aren't many Rogers males in the next generations--only maybe 4 or so. Out of 100 in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment