Friday, July 17, 2009

humming


dock 005
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Here's a hummingbird at the feeder hanging at the boat house. This is the first year we've had a feeder there. The birds were buzzing around a lot, so I figured they'd come to a feeder. They sure do. This one's a female but there are plenty of both genders. As they do at all feeders, they fight for territory, buzzing at each other and driving each other away.

Everyone has said that the Boathouse Hummingbirds are the biggest they've ever seen. How proud I am! I thought the same thing when I first saw them. They buzz really loudly--so loud that sometimes it sounds as if a boat is coming. Hope the noise doesn't keep my sister awake when she sleeps on the porch, right by the feeder.

I had the screen door open the other day--the door is right next to the feeder, and two lady birds flew into the porch. This happens a lot at home, and I can always catch the birds (well, except for the 2 last year--Tess caught one and Dot caught the other--2 fatalities). This time I had no luck. One lady was clever enough to fly back out but the other flew up into the rafters and sat there, panting. I left for the day and that night my cousins and I discovered her little body on the floor. Dumb bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment