Friday, November 12, 2010

early november 2010 016


early november 2010 016
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
A balsam auditioning to be someone's Christmas tree. Maybe in a decade or so, little thing.

We always had balsam Christmas trees--my father, having grown up here, knew that was the only appropriate species. It's all in the smell, it's sure not in the shape or fullness of the tree. I keep up with the tradition, and lately have been finding trees on my land that suffice. I have to pick ones with small trunks, of course--a chainsaw is yet to show up among my tools. I have other saws, for sure--reciprocating, jigsaw, hand saws of all kinds, circular. Just point me in the direction of a tree needing pruning, or a piece of lumber in need of cutting. My friends who are avid tree cutters will be cutting some more trees on my land, to improve my once-wonderful view of Whiteface and the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment