Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Back to reality

We had a great Thanksgiving, good food & wonderful visiting with each other.  My mother handled it all well, didn't get too tired or confused.  As soon as the others left, though, she fell asleep.  Soundly.

I don't like leaving my house unattended this time of year, but there's not much I can do.  Kitty was left alone.  I left a HUGE bowl of food for her, which she must have eaten in one sitting.  She looks like a bowling ball.  I'm now counting points for her, too.

I have wonderful friends here.  My friends the Holts were here for T-giving week.  I had dinner with them the night before I left for RI and we had a nice visit.  They love to cut down trees, so I told them they could cut anything they wanted to on my land.  Our goal is to revive the view I used to have--my brother cut a bunch of trees so I could see Whiteface and Catamount.  He felt strongly that, if you live on a hill you should have a view.  The balsams had grown up to block the view, plus there are some birches, maples, beech, etc. that need to be cut.  They're small trees.  ANYWAY: When I came home there was a perfect Christmas tree leaning against my deck.  The firewood that was outside had been moved, now stacked in the wood shed.  AND, amazing is this: there's crushed stone on about half of my driveway.  This was a huge surprise, and I pondered a while about who did it.  I settled on Rush & Annie, though, as my generous friends who always know what's important to me.  There was 3" of snow when I got home, so I couldn't fully appreciate the driveway's new look.  It's raining now, though, and I can see what a work of art it is.

I spent the morning at home today, waiting fr Mr. Chimney Cleaner to come.  He was due at 10:45 so I hung out from 4:30 until then.  I don't know why I get up at that hour, but if I'm awake and can't get back to sleep I figure I might as well get up.  So there I am, enjoying my house that has finally warmed up, and BINGO the power went out.  We're having big winds here, and apparently in spite of the best efforts of the power company, I guess a tree limb fell on the line.  It's only my house, one other house, and the camps below that got knocked.  I had to wait for the stove to be clean and ready, but as soon as I could I built a wonderful fire.  I got more instructions on how to burn wood--each time he comes I learn a little more.  He's putting me on the Call List, says I need cleaning twice a year.  Sort of like the dentist, huh.

I don't mind the power thing too much, I can change things to get by without water, but I worry about the cellar.  The sump pump can only pump when there's electricity.  If it doesn't pump, the cellar fills with water (like, really fills--5' or more) and my pump is underwater.  It's not a submersible pump, but I've been lucky in the past and it still works when it dries out.  Let's hope the power's on when I get home.  It should surprise the dogs, the television was on, as were most of the lights in the living room.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment