Monday, January 24, 2011

20 below 004


20 below 004
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Yes, this was this morning. I slept in the living room last night to be sure I'd stuff the stove with wood during the night. It wasn't anywhere near as cold as was predicted (luckily). We were told it would be -40, or -60, or something that dramatic.

This is not dramatic. It's not even the first time this winter we've had it this cold. The indoor temperature, well, that's a real drag. On a sunny day the living room gets up to 65 or so, but mostly it hovers in the upper 50's. When you think about it, though, 50 degrees isn't bad when it's the outdoor temp. So I don't suffer. Except when it's 41 and my nose is cold.

I have 2 friends who are here now, leaving tomorrow. They're staying in their camp, down the hill from my house. They come each winter for their "extreme, extreme" visit. Guess they got pretty extreme this year, huh. They spend their time climbing mountains, and I spend my time worrying about them. Duncan checks in with me every day to assure me they're fine and to tell me of the day's adventures. I went there for dinner Sat. night. They have a new, fantastic wood stove that warms up the living room to mid-60's. or more. Duncan was embarrassed last night when I told him that my house was in the 50's. "I hate to tell you what the temperature here is ... " They insist on sleeping in the upstairs bedrooms, where there's no heat. Did they sleep there last night? News people gleefully anounce that, in this weather, you could get frostbite in ten minutes. I didn't, though, when I went out to get wood this morning. Nor did the dogs, who romped in the snow. My wet hair froze..

No comments:

Post a Comment