Friday, March 18, 2011

Catching up

I spent last weekend with my mother in RI, celebrating her 85th birthday.  It's hard to believe she's 85.  She's always been very young to us so it's hard to see her slow down.  She's in great shape but worries about things like when she should stop driving, etc.  She's fine and I always tell her she should do whatever she wants, and if it gets to the point that she doesn't know enough to back up out of a parking space, I'll tell her it's time to stop driving.

I had a good trip.  Driving was easy, roads were clear and as soon as you hit Albany there's no more snow.  Yippee.  I got there Friday afternoon, early enough for a visit with Mark and Liza, and a nice dinner prepared by someone who wasn't me.  A dinner that had 4 different things in it.  Unheard of on Old Hawkeye Road.  Saturday I took Liza to the dump, it's easier with 2 people but she didn't have that much stuff anyway.  She's worried about leaving too much for her survivors to deal with when she dies, so she's always focused on what to get rid of.  Books, that's her latest most pressing issue.  She has a lot of books, and none of us would want most of them.  I suggested she get some books together for our trip to the dump and she bravely did.  2 shopping bags full, which she wanted me to review before they hit the Rose Hill (Dump) Library.  Good choices, said I.

Saturday night dinner was lobster, of course.  It's so fresh and sweet in the winter, cold water I guess.  I cooked the lobsters & clams--Liza always did that, but I think it's good if we do it now.  She thought I was brave for dunking the lobsters in the boiling water.  Certainly not my favorite part of a lobster dinner, but what must be done must be done.

Sunday was warm and nice.  We spent the morning reading the newspapers, then Mark & I went for a beach walk with the dogs.  It was Liza's birthday so we had a special breakfast.  We all spent lots of time reading--it's so pleasant to sit in her living room, silent with all 3 of us reading something.  The only issue is who gets the big couch--my dogs love that spot and sometimes a human wants to sit/lie down there too.

We went out for dinner Sunday night, to a new Italian restaurant.  RI has as many Italian restaurants as Plattsburgh has Chinese restaurants, but this is a nice one.  The chairs are really high, though, and neither Liza nor I could put our heels on the floor.  Interesting sensation, looking down at your dinner, the way most people get to.  Lots of times my chin just about rests on the table.  Food was good, we all had politically incorrect veal.

I didn't give Liza much in the way of presents--books (oh no! more books!), flower seeds and planting supplies.  Mark did better, got her a new log carrier, very fancy, plus the broom she'd asked for.  Plus a gift card so she can buy some new summer clothes.  She was pleased with it all.  She had lots of phone calls on her birthday, which she really, really liked.  She also got lots of money from people--2 big checks.  "Happy Birthday to ME!," is what she said.

This weekend should be fairly quiet.  Rush & Annie are coming so I'll see them; book group has been postponed until next Sunday so I don't have to hustle to clean.  Like, it would kill me to clean ahead of time.

I got braces on my teeth today.  Something I've always wanted.  The idea of a nearly-60-year-old woman having braces is a bit absurd, but these are the nearly-invisible kind.  They only have to be on for 6 months.  Some think that's a long time, but I feel lucky there are these nifty new ones that don't take years to work.  One person thinks I'm too old and that my teeth won't move.  Another thinks I should be spending the money on a new well.  Others think it's nice to do something that I really want to.  Sitting in the dentist's chair for 1.5 hours this morning had me wondering why I was doing this, but the thought of having straight teeth that are neatly lined up is very appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment