Monday, July 18, 2011

Long Monday

And today seems like the Day that Won't END.  The clocks have stopped, I'm sure.  So I'm turning to my blog instead of going into the stacks to inventory more books about how to improve yourself.  Turns out I/we bought a slugload of those, for the correctional facilities I imagine.  Of all of the 160,000 residents of our service area, I would bet the inmates could most benefit from the 158's.

I had a good weekend, very nice.  Weather was dock-worthy, so I spent both days on the dock. The water is pretty warm, though I swam briefly this morning and it fell colder after last night's rain.  Ah, who knows, maybe it's just cold at 6:30 a.m.

Saturday I went to camp in the morning, visited with ex-husband's brother, someone I've always liked.  He & his girlfriend + her kids were there for the day.  And felt free to use anything they came across, including my canoe & my kayak (even though they had to go searching through the boat house--MY boat house--to find paddles.  Personal space?  what's that?).  I cared only because it's a throwback to my former self, though I do prefer to have people ask if they can use things I own that cost hundreds of dollars.  Oh well, the kids had fun with the kayak and no one liked the canoe, it was too tippy.  Tough.  I sat on the dock & finished the book group book (The lace reader), which I enjoyed.  Both the sitting and the book, that is. 

Saturday night I had company at the boat house for cocktail hour--the Nadals, good friends who are here for the summer.  He's recently semi-retired from his glass-blowing business, she's a nurse.  Or was, maybe she's retired too.  I don't know--all I know is that I'm surrounded by retired people which should make me feel young but instead makes me feel as if everyone else is on a fun ride and I'm not.  Patience, dear, patience.  It hopefully won't be long.  A few years.  The Nadals & I spent a long time watching the adult loons feed the baby loons.  whatever they're called.  loonlets.  loonettes.  who knows.  Anyway, there were 2 babies but one was much bigger than the other & the parents only fed the big one, leaving Little to bob in the waves alone.  This upset Jim, though he finally agreed that nature is cruel.  The lions kill the baby wildebeests.  Crocodiles kill baby lions.

Saturday night Jenica & beau came, which was really nice.  We had a good visit.  I stayed in the boat house, they stayed in the nifty cabin that's right on the water.  Nice chats during the day on Sun., lots of time when Jenica & I were on the dock together, reading & chatting.  It was hot, too hot to be anywhere else.  I tried going home to be productive and stack wood, but I turned right around & ended up back on the dock.  Dogs were entertained.  I still have many cords to stack and am not making progress at all.

Last night I had dinner with Jenica & Justin (she cooked) then we went to Hot Dog Man for ice cream with Fred.  Apparently I've reached my weight plateau because my weight's been the same for 2 weeks now.  Or maybe it's 3, who knows.  Anyway, I'll stay this way through the summer (as long as I don't gain weight, that is) and may try losing more weight in the fall.  I've lost nearly 30 pounds in the last year so I feel good.  So does my doctor.  He's very proud & says I might not have to take my cholesterol meds anymore.  Of all the meds I take, that's the least invasive, but I guess it's good to get rid of anything I can.

I spent 2 days on the road last week--one day in Keene and one in Tupper Lake.  Both were fine, though Keene was really hot and humid and the collection is pretty depressing.  Too many old books.  Tupper Lake is a long drive from my house.  Wednesday afternoon I went to the calling hours for Ken's brother-in-law.  Calling hours are a must, no matter what you thought of the person, whether you liked the person, whether you barely knew the person, etc.  It's what you do.  So I did it.  Check that one off my list.  The dearly departed was 88 and had been ill, but he really wanted to live, poor man.  Congestive heart failure, all too common.

This week I'm in Plattsburgh except for Weds., when I have to drive to Utica for a seminar/workshop/meeting.  YUCK.  I have to be there at 9, didn't want to spend the night because then I'd have to board the dogs.  So it'll be lots of driving, but I hope the meeting lasts at least as long as the driving takes.  But I doubt that it will.  7 hours of driving. 

Work is going along.  It's too slow, after a huge flurry of work needing to be done.  Now we're moving smoothly along through the summer hustle.  I need to spend more time doing the inventory--I'm supposed to have half the collection done by Dec. and I'm far, far from reaching that point.

Tonight I'll stop at Linda's to give her the NY TImes I bought this morning.  I haven't seen her much, need to take advantage of her presence here while I can.  Sometimes I just feel as if I'm being pulled in a zillion different directions.  The first event of our Chicken Wars was yesterday but I opted out.  The plan is to have each person cook a chicken recipe for one Sunday dinner, and have us all judge the recipe.  I'm not competitive, nor do I have a fantastic chicken recipe, so I'm not really up for the whole thing.  There are scorecards and categories (presentation is one category--dear god help me).  I may pass on the whole thing, since I'll be gone for 2 weekends in August anyway.

Now some time has passed, I can tell.  The hands on the clocks have actually moved.  I'll head into the stacks for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment