Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Chances Are update

Went to the vet last night to see what's up with Chances.  She walked for him and he was impressed with her progress.  He said it could take up to 6 months for her to recover fully, or maybe she'll never recover fully at all.  Nerve regeneration is what's up.  And atrophied leg muscles.  So we wait to see how much and how quickly she improves.  Right now she's walking pretty much but is very tippy and has no strength in her hind legs.  Slippery floors at home are a big issue so I'll be buying some cheap runners with rubber backing to put on the path from the bathroom to the front door.  Vet said I could build a ramp for the deck stairs, but I think not.  Right now that's the trickiest part--she can go down the stairs unassisted but can't climb up them.  Unassisted means that she goes down really fast, sort of pushed by gravity and her hind end.  But she's a sweetheart and is game.  Wags her tail all the time.  She tires easily but David (vet) said her walking is like physical therapy, which is a slow process.  He was more concerned about me, really, and how I'm holding up.  If I decide I can't wait 6 months, or that she's not recovering more, I'm not a bad person.  That was a nice thing to say.  I'm holding up pretty well but this is really a drag.  Pun intended.

I had a nice weekend.  Saturday I drove to Dannemora for an open house at the new library there.  The views were spectacular--High Peaks to Lake Champlain and the Green Mtns.  It was a clear sunny day and I drove partway up the mountain just to enjoy the view.  Really, really pretty, and me without my camera.

Sunday morning I took Tess for a nice long walk.  Good November weather, temp not quite 30 but warm sun.  We walked down to a friend's camp along the road, then home along the shore to check on other camps.  Everything was in good shape, nothing going on.  One year when I made the rounds like that I discovered that one of the camps had been broken into and a bunch of stuff was stolen.  So I'm sometimes leery when I check on things.

I painted the small chest from my bedroom.  I've switched from yucky green to glossy black for my furniture.  Anything that can be painted has been painted.  Pretty much.  But wait, I'll find more.  The chest turned out well and looks so much better.  Maybe partly because I took the huge pile of stuff off the top of it.

Tomorrow I'll go to Burlington to visit my friend in the hospital there (chemo for leukemia).  It's supposed to be a beautiful day so the trip will be nice.  I have to get a couple of books for her, so I'll go to the book store there.  What will I get?  Geez, who knows.  Sometimes I hate picking out books for other people, it feels like a big responsibility.  Sometimes I really like it.  Hopefully this will be one of those times.

I had lunch with my good friend (well, I have no BAD friends) Barb yesterday.  Always nice to be with her.  I've been trying to make a specific basket for her daughter's wedding present (let's not go into when the wedding was) but cannot, absolutely cannot shape it right.  I can still weave well but my shaping skills are gone.  So it's going to be a square basket instead.  I can do squares.

I started knitting again, out of boredom mostly.  I found a blanket that was 2/3 done from several years ago & have almost finished that.  Then I decided I was tired of knitting the seed stitch so I bought yarn & a pattern for a sweater.  I never finish sweaters, but this is a vest so maybe I'll actually make something I can wear.  I hate armpits and sleeves--I always make the armpit openings too small.

We have Friday off.  Yippee!!! Weather not supposed to be too great, maybe rainy and cold, but it will be nice to be home.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll start getting ready to paint my living room.  Which will be an interesting project, considering scaffolding is required to paint the top parts of the wall.  Guess I'd better pick a color that looks good with what it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment