Tuesday, December 13, 2011

BIG catching up

Wow it's been a long time since I wrote anything.  December is going fast.  First it was hard to believe it was December, now it's even harder to believe that I go to Rhode Island next week for my Christmas visit.  I'll be there from Thursday to Weds.  Have to come back Wednesday because on Thursday the 29th I PICK UP MY NEW DOG.  Yes, I'm crazy.  I still have Chances, who is doing pretty well.  She stands up much more now, and can walk more steps.  Still tips over easily, but she's trying.  So why am I getting another dog?  Oh such a good question.  Because my breeder has a 1 1/2 year old female black Lab that's perfect.  Dog is named Treasure, which is what Tess' name (Tesoro) means in Italian.  So how could I not?  I don't know how this will work out as far as Chances goes, and I know I've said vehemently many times that I'll never have 3 dogs again, but oops, here goes.  This is a nice and special dog.

I turned 59 yesterday, which is startling to me.  Even more startling is that I'll be 60 next year.  How did this happen?  I celebrated the day with lunch with my good friend Barb, lots of phone calls and emails and cards, then a visit with Jim & Pat on the way home.  Sister's present is coming in the mail, Barb's presents were great and very tasty.  Mother sent new slippers, which she always does for my birthday.  P & J gave me cash, which was a nice surprise, even though I don't think they should give me anything.

It's been pretty cold, mostly at night.  Days aren't too bad, climbing into the 40's at times.  Nights have been in the teens so I've been keeping my fire going.  Wow is it hard to get into that routine.  I'm getting up earlier so I can get a hot fire going before leaving for the day.  Which means I sit around waiting for the fire to get hot, watching stupid people on television.  But it's the right thing to do.  I got my electric bill for November and it was HUGE.  I have electric back-up heat.  Because we couldn't afford to buy a furnace when we built the house.  Something I pretty much regret every winter.  Even with the wood stove (and $$$ firewood) the house doesn't get very warm when it's really cold, and the heat is on all winter, chalking up huge bills.  When my ex husband moved out I ended the winter with a $1000 electric bill, but it was in his name.  When I called the electric company to change the account to my name the woman told me I wasn't liable for the $1000 in his name.  Shockerooni.  I felt bad (briefly) but ended up sticking him with the bill.  "We'll get the money from him eventually," she said.  Which was more than I could do.  I don't know what happened but I suspect there was a lien against him, which he never knew about.  Maybe still doesn't.  who knows.  More, though, who cares?

I'm looking forward to my trip to RI.  Nice to be there for such a long time.  I'll see my friend Linda--we always have lunch together (as opposed to separately) during Christmas week.  I have most of my Christmas chores finished, except for making a few things and finishing up my Christmas cards.  Not bad for the 13th.  I have to find something for the director, as I'm her Secret Santa this year.  Swell.  I have to buy vodka, candy and dog biscuits for my plow man.  I have to mail the Italy presents, but that will happen this afternoon.  I have to wrap & mail presents to my niece and do the same for my cousin and his family.  Plus ... I have to put up my tree.  Traditionally I had it up by my birthday, but I'm 59 now so things are different.

I cut a tree on Sunday, maybe 20' tall, then took the top off.  Not a great looking tree so I tromped through the woods in search of another one.  I cut 2 more small trees, and if I put all 3 together it would make a barely respectable tree.  So I have to decide whether to have a tree that's too small for all of my ornaments, or buy a tree that will be big and harder to deal with.  Better hurry up and decide, no?

Tomorrow I get snow tires.  I'm proud of myself for planning this before my trip.  I insist on buying the most expensive snow tires ($900 for 4).  Why?  Because that's how I am.  These tires are good in snow and keep me from sliding around the road, which makes me feel more secure.  Would I have been able to get out before Thanksgiving if I'd had my snow tires?  Who knows.  Mute point.  I know, it's moot, but I like mute better.

I just finished reading Jeffrey Eugenides' The marriage plot, which was a nice read.  He won a Pulitzer for his last book, so I knew the book would be well written and it was.  Story of young college graduates.  From Brown, so there was lots of Providence stuff in the beginning.  Vaguely entertaining.  Now I'm reading a Julian Barnes book that is very, very funny.  Terribly British, but the humor is good.  Like, "mantra sounds like the name of an automobile.  The Oldsmobile Mantra."  I thought that was cute.  And true.

No comments:

Post a Comment