Friday, December 30, 2011

Last post of the year

Hard to believe we'll be in 2012 soon.  I like having winter be so much over but it sometimes scares me, how quickly time passes.  So far the winter has been OK but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) we need snow.  There are only a couple of inches on the ground right now, which won't be good when spring comes and there's no snow to melt.  Although the ground hasn't frozen down very far--my sump pump is still pumping, so the water table is high.  This is good news for someone with a shallow well.

I had Christmas in Rhode Island, and it was very nice.  Drove there last Thursday, had good Christmas with Mark & Liza.  We always have a good time, and Christmas is special for us.  Quiet, and we know each other very well so always have good presents.  Mark gave me 2 roof racks for my car, so now I'll have no excuse and will have to be kayak-mobile in the summer.  That should be good.  The other roof rack is a basket, so I can pack it up to take more stuff to the dump.  He knows me well.

I visited my friend Linda, who lives in Jamestown, half an hour from my mother's.  Linda & I have known each other for more than 35 years.  Wow.  She used to live in the other side of the duplex I rented for 9 years.  And I thought THAT was a long time to live in one place.  I've lived in my current house for 20 years, have been in the Adks for 27 years.  Amazing.  Never lived anywhere else that long.  Anyway, Linda and I had a nice visit, lunch at her house.

Christmas Eve dinner was lobsters, which I now cook instead of having Liza wrestle with them.  Wish I could say I mind dropping living things into boiling water, but it doesn't seem to bother me.  No, they NEVER make any noise.

My trip home was fine, some blowing sleet in the Berkshires, which always happens.  Not a big deal, didn't last long.  House was relatively warm except for the bedroom and laundry room.  Apparently it got pretty cold here because 2 pipes in the laundry room burst.  I always turn the pump off but didn't realize the pipes were split and turned the pump on when I got home.  Took a little while to figure out why there was not much water pressure.  Duh.  Big fountains spraying into the laundry room and bedroom.  Yuck.  Now I have no washing machine, which means I either impose on friends or go to the laundromat.  It's across the street from work so that's really no big deal, and the machines are huge.  Why is it always winter when I have to do this?  The laundry soap freezes in the car during the day.

Back to work today.  Busy day, lots of catching up, plus doing Kim's work so she could take the day off.  Put up my new 2012 Chocolate Labs calendar, which my friend Doug sends me every year for my birthday.  This year he couldn't decide between Choc. Lab Puppies and just Choc. Labs, so I got both.

What will I do for New Years Eve?  Probably not much.  I went to a neighborhood party the other night, mingled and visited with people and had a good time.  I have great neighbors, both the seasonal ones and the year-rounders.  I've been invited to another neighborhood party Sat. night but don't know if I'll go.  I'll definitely stop to see my friends Pat & Jim around 5 to toast the new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment