Thursday, March 29, 2012

Numbly numbing day

I went to the dentist this morning to have a crown replaced.  The old crown apparently wasn't tucked into the gum quite well enough and there was some decay under it.  It was a root-canalled tooth, so it didn't hurt, but he messed with my gum a whole lot so that will probably be sore later on.  I have to go back to have the permanent crown put on.  That will take a long time, though not as long as today, which was nearly a 2-hour marathon.  Right now I'm so numb I dribble soda when I try to drink.  And today is our staff luncheon.  Doubt that I'll eat much.  I made my usual cheesecake, which you would think these people would be tired of, but they always ask for it, so I make it.  Boring.

Went to Keene yesterday to continue barcoding their collection.  There were 4 of us, and we had a good time and got a lot done.  I stayed after the others left to clock time.  During the entire day (10-4) only 4 patrons showed up.  We'll need to go back at least one more time.  I don't mind the work, and it's a nice change of scenery.  Pretty spot, in the mountains.

I had dinner with Fred and our friend Donna last Friday, which was very nice.  Donna has decided to retire (she's my age), which is great news.  I hate to say I wish I could retire, but it would be nice not to have to work 5 days a week and still be able to afford my life.  That time will come, they tell me.

Had a good time last week in Willsboro--the director there and I feel the same way about weeding--we're both merciless, so we withdrew a whole bunch of "rare" books--not relevant to life in the North Country, just books people donated that were old.  The books, not the people.  Though the people were probably old, too.

Tomorrow I'm having dinner with a friend from Saranac Lake--the curator of their Adirondack Room.  I worked with her for a couple of years, cataloging the book collection there.  Went every week and loved it.  Then my director decided that was too much time for me to spend having fun so my wings were clipped.  I suppose she was right, and I shouldn't have gone there every week.  Now I'm supposed to be doing the same thing at Plattsburgh Public, but I never seem to get there (next door).  Anyway, Michele & I will have dinner and a nice visit.

Not much going on.  Work, home, work.  The dogs are doing well but that Treasure sure does throw up a lot.  She swallows socks (whole) and is surprised when they come back up hours later (whole).  Truly disgusting but harmless I guess.  I've heard of dogs who swallowed things like socks and had to have them surgically removed from their intestines, so I guess this is the lesser of 2 evils.  Why she eats them I do not know.   Tess has always been sock-obsessed, but she only carries them around, she never chews on them or eats them.  Oh that Treasure, she's such a treasure.  Chances is doing well, but I need to walk her more.  And I need to walk myself more while I'm at it.  15 minutes a week on the treadmill will not lower my cholesterol.

No comments:

Post a Comment