Monday, March 12, 2012

WOW SUNSHINE

Bright sunshine today, feels great.  Yesterday was magnificent in Hawkeye, brilliant sunshine, blue blue sky and warm temps.  If this trend continues, we'll have spring very soon.  There's still a lot of snow at home, but it's melting pretty quickly.  We got almost 6" of snow Friday night, but a lot of it melted yesterday.

I had a good weekend, spent time with the dogs--Chances seems to be perking up a bit, and this morning she was looking (longingly) down the deck stairs, so maybe she'll start walking on the ground, getting off the deck soon.  She can get up on the couch by herself, which is pretty impressive.  She's still very shaky but sort of trots through the house in the morning.

Last week was busy enough.  Long day on Tuesday, went to Albany and had a good trip.  The ride home was endless but I didn't have to drive so I could stare out the window.  The legislators were fine; one is retiring and doesn't care much about libraries, one doesn't care at all about libraries, and the third one is a great supporter of libraries.  Did our visits make a difference?  Probably not, but it's always good to show up.

I went to the dentist on Friday, my new dentist.  Very expensive.  They just moved into a fancy new office with a lot of new equipment and many more exam rooms, so I can expect to pay a premium for dental care from now on.  Anyway, I need a new crown ($1000) and a new filling ($200).  They were really eager to corral me into appointments for those 2 procedures right away, so this week I have the filling replaced and next week I have the old crown removed and a temporary crown put in.  YUCK.  I hate going to the dentist.  And I have good teeth: I can't imagine what it would be like if I had soft teeth.  No, I always hear that I have "beautiful teeth."  Lucky me.

Tomorrow is my mother's 86th birthday.  I talked to her twice on the weekend.  I seem to be talking to her a lot more often these days.  Something comes up that I want to share, or she has a bad experience (chimney fire) or is depressed (not REALLY depressed, just depressed).  Her chimney fire was really dramatic and caused some fine cracks in the chimney liner, but no damage to the house.  Two big firetrucks down her driveway and 2 more parked on the road (she called 911 & the volunteer fire dept. is just down the road).  Neighbors came to see how she was, which reassured her (and me).  She's OK and is deciding what to do about a new stove.  She seems committed to burning wood, though she doesn't like doing it.  It's the only way she can get warm in the winter--her electric heat doesn't get it warm enough and is expensive.

I saw my friends the Holts Saturday and again yesterday.  They were here from Thurs. through this morning, which is a long visit for them.  They had a great time--skied around Taylor Pond, then skied up the road up Whiteface.  Yesterday afternoon we walked the bog together--Rush likes to move at a brisk pace so it didn't take long.  Treasure seems to always want to be at the end of the line, clinging to the heels of the last person.  She's pretty skittish around other people, has led a pretty quiet and sheltered life so far.  She sort of cowers when she meets new people, but relaxes soon enough and then is affectionate.  Don't think I can do much to change that behavior.  I took her for a long ride in the car on Sat. and she did well.  She doesn't get in the car voluntarily, even when Tess zooms in like a jet-propelled pup.  There are a lot of things this dog needs to learn!  At least she doesn't get carsick and so far she hasn't chewed anything.  Can Tess say the same?  With this car, yes, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment