Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Weekly report

Well, the week isn't over, but it's been nearly a week since I posted.  Not too much to report (is there ever?).  Went to the doctor last week--he gained weight on his vacation, too, so when I reported my gain he just laughed.  I know how to lose weight, I just have to DO IT.  Other than that my visit was uneventful.  I had to wait half an hour in the exam room, and was just getting ready to leave (this is my new approach) when he came in.  Once when I went to the dentist I had to wait a long time and was getting more & more hysterical, so I reported to the receptionist & left.  That was fine.  This time I wasn't getting hysterical, just sort of angry. All for naught.

I had a good weekend, busy with summer people.  Saturday I went to a high school graduation party of a friend's grandchild.  It was less than exciting but I'm glad I went--they liked it.  It was a beautiful day, clear and sunny and cool.  Everyone was all bundled up (it was outdoors) but I had a short-sleeved shirt on.  I must have gotten hardy in my old age.

Saturday afternoon I got myself into a mess, not a big surprise--I was driving to a friend's house on their very narrow road and moved over to let someone pass, moving far enough to end up stuck in a ditch.  What a drag!  I thought I would only ever do that sort of thing in the winter, but I'm making it a year-round activity.  The second person I called was more than happy to drive over & tug the car out.  Not as dramatic as I was feeling it to be--I truly, truly hate feeling helpless and having to ask for help.  Not a great approach when living alone in the woods.  But it's who I am.

Sunday I had a really nice visit with summer friends over coffee.  Lots of catching up, which I hadn't been able to do when we saw each other last week.  He's a retired judge and is a wonderful, patient and sensible man.  Everyone's mad for him.  His wife is equally wonderful and sensible and they are both incredibly talented artistically--painting, knitting, pen & ink--just amazing works of art.  I envy  their connection with each other and their talents.

Sunday afternoon I had my weekly visit with Pat & Jim, and gave Bill some Rockwell Kent prints I had brought back from my mother's house.  She gave me 5 prints, 4 compile a series and the 5th is just a print that Kent gave to my father as a gift many years ago.  Bill agreed to take them to the museum here in Platts. and have them assessed.  The museum doesn't want them, they already have copies of these prints, and these particular ones aren't in great shape.  It was great to have the evaluation done, though, and my sister, mother and I had a good time looking the prints over at Liza's house.

Sunday evening I had dinner with Linda & Erdvilas and another couple.  After dinner we processed the neighborhood rag--newsletter of the Conservationists organization made up of shoreowners and neighbors.  Linda & I put it together and we sent it out to a bunch of people.  Does anyone want to read it?  I doubt it.  My contribution was an accounting of the year in Hawkeye from my perspective.  I review my journal for these articles.  Although I don't write in the journal every single day, I make sure there's an entry for each day.  I've been doing this for years--recording mostly facts and events rather than my feelings.  Why do I do this?  I have no idea, but it's such a habit at this point that I think I'd miss it if I stopped.  And this annual reviewing is entertaining and insightful.  Turns out what I did most of in 2011 was dine out with friends.  Many, many shared meals.  Perch dinners at one of our favorite restaurants, meals at the local diner, a couple of fancy (expensive) meals with friends.  And I can't figure out why I'm not losing weight.

Tonight, as a matter of fact, I'm going out for dinner with Martha, Joe and Pat.  To a restaurant in Lake Placid that others have tried and liked.  I'm looking forward to both the visit and the food.

Last night I attended the annual meeting of one of our member libraries.  It was really more of a general board meeting, which lasted for a long, long time.  They have 14 board members--too many for a small library, and also a problem because it's an even number.  Always have an odd number on boards to avoid tie votes.  Anyway, it was a late night so I spent some time at home this morning.  I love mornings at home.  I walked the dogs to a couple of camps to deliver the newsletter--what a pretty morning it was.

And that brings me to this afternoon.  I'm still inventorying the adult non-fiction collection, am finally moving along to the arts & crafts section.  Which is huge.  And the books are big and clumsy to handle.  This project has turned into a life-time legacy.  Always good to get to know your collection, I say, but our collection is huge (60,000 vols., including juvenile, adult, non-fiction and fiction) so this is quite a task.  I'm enjoying it, off & on, but would like the project to END.

No comments:

Post a Comment