Thursday, September 06, 2012

September arrives

They're selling mums at Pray's now, so it must be fall.  I took a plant to Linda and she gave me a dirty look--"Are you telling me it's autumn?"  Well, yes, it is.  The leaves are really turning fast.  Hope they last until Columbus Day!

Had a good 3-day weekend, lots of sunshine and relaxing.  I read a lot, finishing our book group book (Cutting for stone), which I enjoyed.  Though it's a bit tedious in the middle.  It's a good story, I think.  I went to camp but didn't stay there.  My cousin was at his camp across the lake for the weekend and took out the docks.  sad face.  There are so many nice dock days in September, but he's nice to take care of our docks so I can't complain.

It was so nice to have 3 days in a row off.  What a luxury.  I did some house cleaning--mostly picking up dog hair.  I spent an entire day reading.  I read Russell Banks' latest, which isn't very new, and which I had already read but didn't remember much about.  So it was good to re-read, and I enjoyed it.

Friday night was drinks with Linda & Erd., Sat. was dinner with them, Sunday I DID NOT SEE THEM.  Tuesday night, however, was dinner again--this time with Michael & Stephanie.  They stayed to watch the convention but I went home.  Tried to watch speeches but made the giant mistake of lying down on the couch, so consequently went right to sleep.  I recorded Clinton's speech last night and listened to most of it this morning.  Nice, very nice. 

Sunday I went to Pat & Jim's, had a good visit with Bill and P&J.  I haven't seen them yet this week, may not make it to their house.  Tomorrow night (Friday) is dinner with Michael & Stephanie and--you guessed it--Linda & Erd.  That's as far as I have plans for.  I think it's supposed to rain this weekend, so maybe I'll start closing the boat house.  Like, clean out the fridge for starters.  People left a bunch of ratty food in main camp, which I should deal with too.  Chicken sausage.  Olive tapenade.  Hummus.  Salsa.  A stick of butter.  HONESTLY!  What is wrong with these people?

Work is fine, fairly busy.  My co-worker was out most of last week & part of this week so I played library clerk & filled a lot of interlibrary loan requests.  Which is a rewarding task, mostly--except for those times when you cannot find the book and know it has to be somewhere in the building but where?

I did some cataloging at the Platts. Pub. Lib.--continuing on through their collection into New York State history books.  Of which there are plenty.  And I haven't got to the LOCAL history stuff yet.  But I'm making progress.

Had a nice evening last night, drinks and food with Joe & Martha, L&E, Nadals, Fred.  All very pleasant and very, very pretty sitting on Nadals' porch on the water.

Started catching mice sans cat.  Kitty disappeared in June and never returned.  Do I want another cat?  No, not really.  I don't want to have 3 animals, I'm feeling that 2 is fine.  So I set traps.  Caught & killed one, caught & maimed another.  Poor mousie dragged the trap across the kitchen to the living room, across the living room to the door before dying.  Caught by the hind leg.  Well, I'm sorry it suffered, but I just don't want to co-habit with mice.  It was nice to have a cat take care of that.  I had a chipmunk in my pantry over the weekend--I heard loud chirps throughout the day, finally spotting chippie in the afternoon.  He tried to beat a hasty retreat through the front door but the dogs spotted him & he ran back to the pantry.  He knows how to get in & out of the house when I leave the door open, has worn a little path across the house, I think.  He finally left and I shut the door.  I like to leave the door open for the dogs, but maybe that's not such a great idea...

Tess spent a lot of time in the bog over the weekend--she was returned to me once.  The tag on her collar says "Tess the Bog Dog, I live next door," but some people just want to make SURE she really DOES live next door, so they deliver her to me.  I chained her up on Monday so she had to make do with my company.  She does like to socialize with visitors to the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment