Wednesday, October 16, 2013

And the season comes to an end...

We had a great Columbus Day weekend--the weather couldn't have been better.  Sunny and warm, with just enough color left in the woods to impress us.  It wasn't as busy as some C.D. weekends have been, which was sort of nice.  I didn't get to see all of the visitors but I did get some things done at home, and I had a WONDERFUL few hours reading on the boat house porch on Sunday.  Wow was that nice.

I only saw the Neels briefly, which was too bad--they're wonderful people.  I did see the Holts, who are also wonderful people.  I had dinner with them on Sunday night.  Poor Rush is totally frustrated by what's happening in Washington.  Very disheartening.  Annie had a great trip to Spain and is getting ready for retirement.

I walked the bog after the hordes of bog walkers left, on Monday.  It was cloudy and drizzling but lovely.  There was an unbelievable number of visitors to the bog over the weekend, which I guess is good.  Hard for me to be enthusiastic about day trippers like that.  Tess was good and stayed home, but she was tethered part of the time.

Saturday Jenica & Justin came with their dog Malcolm.  He's huge and a sweetie.  My dogs thought he was pretty imposing but also thought maybe he'd want to play with them.  A bit of confusion on how to do that.

We went to Lin & Ralph's for the cider pressing.  I had picked a ton of wild apples from my trees, which pleased Ralph (wild apples make the best cider).  We stayed for a while and took home some cider.  J & J wanted to see what Malcolm would do in the water so we walked to camp.  What did he do?  Walked right in, lay down, sat down, wallowed, swam--had a great time.  After that we sat on the porch and visited for a while, which was pretty and nice.  What great weather.  They went home and I did...NOTHING.  A quiet Sat. night.

Sunday I "helped" Rush & Annie take out their dock--barely did anything, but got to see people there.  Another beautiful day.  I ended up on the boat house porch in the afternoon, reading Border songs, which is a nice book.  Well written.  Boy do I like sitting on the porch there, the only person in the world. 

I saw my cousins on Sunday--they came to camp looking for me.  They're wonderful, have a camp on the other side of the lake but take good care of camp and me anyway.  They always make an effort to visit with me when they're here, which is flattering.  I really enjoy seeing them.  I remember them as toddlers, which makes me feel very old--they're married with children of their own (well, as opposed to what?  children of someone else?) now.  They have nice wives and sweet children.

I had morning coffee with the Nadals, sitting by the lake in the sun--oh so very nice.  They packed up, closed their camp and might come this winter.

Monday was a holiday, YAY so I did a few things at home.  Had intended to close the boat house but I think it's just too warm for that.  Wouldn't be closing time unless I have to wear a jacket.  I managed to put plastic on 2 windows a the back of the house downstairs.  My big effort at energy conservation.  One year I did all the windows on the first floor, including the big living room windows.  Not this year, but I do hope to do more--the kitchen window is broken and leaks, and the bathroom window doesn't quite close all the way, so those are contenders.

New stove is great.  I conferred with Annie about fires and how to make the most of the stove--their stove is the same model but a bit older and, of course, not cobalt blue.  I'm still figuring out this stove's burning habits.  It's very different from my old stove, which I suppose is the point.

Today I have a webinar in the morning and will visit the AuSable Forks library in the afternoon.  They have some things they think are archival and want my help to identify and classify them.  Tomorrow I head to Canton for a meeting with people I like to see.  Should be a pretty drive, too.  Maybe I can stop at the farm stand in Nicholville.  To get what?

Linda leaves tomorrow.  Joe & Martha leave next week.  And that's it for the 2013 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment