Monday, October 07, 2013

Come and gone

I think our color peaked last week.  We've lost a LOT of leaves in the past few days, and a windy day like today won't help.  There's still color, but it's not that great.  Or maybe it will be for people who haven't been here yet.  Big crowd will come this weekend for Columbus Day.

I had a good weekend, enjoyed myself and was mildly productive.  Thursday night I had dinner with Linda & Erd. + friends, Friday night Bill had a catered dinner at his camp that was WONDERFUL.  He had a cook from his favorite restaurant come and cook a fantastic meal for us.  Only problem was that Bill suffers from portion control issues and the servings were HUGE.  Sat. Linda cooked a Thanksgiving dinner for Bill's birthday (same people as Friday night).  That was delicious but a lot of food.  Last night was book group at Linda's & she served another delicious meal.  Yikes.  I told Linda she wouldn't need to see me tonight but she invited me to stop for dinner so maybe I'll do that.  They'll be leaving next week.

I picked a lot of wild apples by my driveway on Sat., which was fun.  It was a really warm day, though cloudy, and I managed to pick 2 small bags.  My friend is having a cider pressing this Saturday and they always like to have wild apples to add to the mix.  There are still many, many apples on the trees--too high for me to reach so I'll whack them with a spade or something.  The dogs wait patiently under the tree to be hit on the head with yummy apples.  The apples are huge and wonderful this year, which is very different from last year's crop.

Book group was nice.  We finished Isabel Allende and have selected our next book.  We'll meet at Marylou's house and have Thanksgiving dinner.  Her husband cooks a spectacular turkey with stuffing.

Yesterday I went to a yard sale with friends--the brother and sister-in-law of one of my friends are selling everything and moving to their place in Florida, so we picked over a lot of stuff at the end of the sale.  I got a nifty blender for $5--I've been wanting a blender so this was perfect.

I stopped at the AuSable Forks library on Friday to pick up my keys.  They were lost in a box of archival things that I delivered to the library earlier.  I thought I was very clever to figure out that that's where the keys were.  I hate losing keys.

Thursday night I'm having a friend come for dinner--I'm not sure he's ever been in my house and his wife isn't coming with him this week so I thought it would be nice to cook for him.  What I'll cook is still a mystery.  At least the house is moderately clean so that won't be a problem.

Raining hard right now, just as predicted.  It's amazingly warm these days, and warm sunny days are predicted for the rest of the week.  Yowie.

No comments:

Post a Comment