Saturday, November 02, 2013

At home

Very exciting thing happened today--my phone company contractor finally came and installed high-speed Internet at my house.  This is great but boy will take some getting used to.  I tried using the email address for my Frontier account, but because I never took Jamie's name off the account the "from" says James Rogers.  Yikes.  Luckily I only send 2 messages that way before it was pointed out to me.  This computer is slow and pretty old, so I'm thinking of buying a new one.  They're so much cheaper than they were, it's just very tempting.

So now I can blog at home.  Hmmmm.  Not sure what this will mean.  More blogging?  I have to switch my email accounts all over the place.  My main (new) personal email address is labrdors at gmail.com--but I'll still use my cefls address, of course, since it's my work address.

It's a rainy day, not really very cold but feels cool and damp so I built a fire.  The phone guy admired my stove and told me a little history of the company.  He also told me where to get good, cheap firewood, from a place that makes pallets, but you need a truck to pick up the loads.  So I'll probably just stick with what I do.

I went to the dump this morning but haven't done much else besides play with the Internet.  I'm trying to get this computer set up with the most current versions of things but it's so slow that it takes a long time.

Busy week at work.  Monday I went to an arts program in Peru at night, getting lost in the dark on the way there.   I had to laugh at myself--I certainly know how to get there from here, and used to live in Peru, but I missed my turn in the dark in Peasleeville and away I went, off into the deep darkness.  It was all fine, I figured out where I was and got to the library on time.

Tuesday I had dinner with Annie and a friend (at Annie's).  That was nice.  A dark walk home, and it was cold--down to 18.  Cold days at the beginning of the week, warm days at the end.

Weds. I spent the day in Malone, where I did 2 Power Point presentations.  I only prepared one, someone else did the other (the GOOD one).  Mine was boring, about cataloging  rules.  It was short, only about 9 slides, and they were all text.  Anyway, it was over when it was over.  That night I met Bill & Fred for dinner in Saranac.  We were supposed to be taking Pat out for her birthday dinner but she didn't feel up to it so we went without her,. never ones to miss an opportunity for dining out.  It was nice to be with the 2 of them.

Friday was a staff luncheon and I cooked a cheesecake Thursday night.  I used a smaller pan so it was thicker and thus not quite cooked as well as it usually is, but people ate it anyway.  After work I went grocery shopping then stopped at P&J's, then came home.  whew.

Last weekend I imposed on Lin to drive me to Plattsburgh to buy rolls of insulation that don't fit in my car.  We did some other shopping, had our usual fun, then she delivered the insulation to my house.  Very nice of her.  I'm having the son of a friend--who mows my lawn--and a friend of his put the insulation under the house.  I don't think I have enough to do the whole house but it's a good start.  They got started on Monday and plan to work tomorrow and Monday.  Jamie & I did it 20 years ago but I just didn't feel like doing it this year, and had some cash to pay for it.

Not much going on in Hawkeye.  My friends hunted on my land last weekend, and may return tomorrow.  They found buck rub on a tree so were pretty excited.  Goodness knows we have enough deer...


No comments:

Post a Comment