Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November weather--I llike it

I enjoy November, when the weather is variable.  We have warm, then we have cold, then it gets warm again.  There aren't usually any extremes, making life simpler and more pleasant.  We had nice warm weather over the weekend but now it's chilly again in Hawkeye.  Due to be in single digits in a couple of days.  Yikes.  The ground is freezing/frozen.  The temperature dropped quickly overnight and I was afraid there would be black ice on the way in this morning, but I had no problems.

Last week was good--I was pleased with my progress on Monday.  I had some work meetings, some webinars, and most notably I went to the dentist on Weds.  I had planned to have ONE filling replaced, but of course the dentist talked me into doing 2. Ugh.  I had such bad childhood dental experiences that I get nervous just having my teeth cleaned, so this was pretty traumatic for me.  This dentist is very good, however, about using a lot of novacaine and waiting for it to take effect.  So it was painless.  Sore for a few days afterward, but all in all not really terribly unpleasant.  It took a long time and cost a lot of money but who's surprised at my age to need replacement fillings?

The insulating project at home goes on.  Saturday Lin was kind enough to drive me to Plattsburgh so I could buy the 3 more rolls that Ravi said he would need.  Only 2 fit in my car at once, so it was great to have her larger vehicle.  That's it, I hope, for buying insulation.  The living room is noticeably warmer, and now the back of the house is chilly but not truly cold (as it was before).  Plastic on the bedroom window has helped.

We had a good Plattsburgh run on Sat., eating lunch at the new-to-us 5 Guys.  It's all about meat.  I ate what they call a regular burger, which is 2 patties, so I felt sated and sluggish all afternoon.  And as if I should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.  Which I did, that night.  I also made cheesecake that night, with gluten-free crust, for book group on Sunday.  The crust was OK but sort of gloppy--I used gluten-free shortbread cookies, mashed up, with melted butter added to them.  The extra butter sure made things greasy, but it did turn out well.

Sunday we had our Book Group Thanksgiving at M'lou's.  Very nice.  Very good food, but too much of it!  I ate a whole lot.  Ugh.  Boy was it all good, though.  And we had a nice time, visiting and talking (a little) about the book (Sisterland).  Next month's book is Susan Vreeland, The forest lover.  I don't know if it's any good, but she's a good writer so at least it should be well-written.

Yesterday I had my annual eye exam in Saranac Lake.  A lot of driving--to Platts. by 8, then to Saranac Lake, then back to Platts., then home the same way at 4.  My eyes are fine except for an issue with the replacement lens in my left eye--I had cataract surgery a long time ago and he said that, when you have cataracts removed at a younger age this often happens.  It gets cloudy at the back of the lens.  This is just starting with me but has gotten worse in the last year so may need to be fixed (lasered).  It's an easy fix, he assured me.  And I trust him.  Mostly now it's just a blur issue, nothing too serious.  After my pupils were dilated and the solution was wearing off, one pupil was way bigger than the other, which made me a little nauseous but mostly just looked very, very strange.  All is back to normal now.

This weekend Lin & I are planning to go to an open house at a gallery we visited a while ago.  I like the artwork of one of the artists, and we both need to do a little Christmas shopping.  Wow I need to get into Christmas mode!

Next week is Thanksgiving, and I'm off to RI on Weds.  Looking forward to that.  Later this week I go to Westport for the afternoon, to do some consulting on their Adirondack collection.  That's a nice trip--great library, wonderful director, and I like looking at Adirondack collections.  And on Friday I get paid.  Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment