Monday, December 02, 2013

Good time was had by all

I drove to RI for Thanksgiving, leaving a day earlier than intended (Tuesday) due to a number of things, like disappearing dogs (what DO they do at camp this time of year, anyway?) and predicted impending horrible terrible impassable storm.  I was gone for nearly a week, which seemed strange, but it was a very nice trip.

Got to Liza's in good time on Tuesday afternoon, had a quiet time and went to bed early.  Weds. (late) Jenica & Justin arrived, having traveled through the storm I was so careful to avoid (it wasn't that bad).  We had a nice beach walk, though it was cold, very cold, and windy, very windy.  Dramatic surf but even more dramatic total of 12 dogs on the beach at once.  A group who apparently walks their 5 dogs together a lot was there.  Our dogs got along with their dogs, but we kept Malcolm and Tess leashed for most of the walk.  I didn't want Tess to be trampled and rolled by the energetic 1-year old giant male Labs who were there.  She didn't seem to mind but DID want to investigate more areas than I was willing to walk to.

Turkey dinner was great--good food and plenty of it.  I helped Liza cook, we all helped serve and eat and clean up.  Very nice holiday.

I walked the dogs alone in the park on Friday while Mark was at work--we went on the "nature trail" for a change and it was very nice.  Always fearful of ticks in Lyme country, but I think we escaped unscathed.  Mark & I walked in the park again on Sat. but it was really cold and the dogs took off so it wasn't one of our better walks.

Justin & Jenica left on Friday and I went to town for a few things.  Saturday Liza, Mark & I went Christmas shopping in Westerly.  It was great--we each had our own shopping cart and filled them, checked out at the same time, then went home.  Liza likes to rest a lot.  We went back to town in the afternoon for a few more things, then were home to rest.  I didn't have lobsters this time (!!), it just seemed like too much trouble.  We had good flounder on Weds night with J&J, but ate turkey and pork the rest of the time.

The weather was variable, with a couple of cold days but mostly it was in the 40's and not bad.  My mother no longer has her wood stove and worries a lot about how she'll keep the house warm.  She has electric heat but hers costs a lot less than mine does.

I left RI yesterday morning, had a good trip home.  Made a couple of stops so it took a bit longer but I got some shopping done.  My house was 49 when I got home (ugh).  Temps outside had been down to -3 and the lake froze over while I was gone.  I'll find out tonight from P&J when that happened.  It's a bit early for that, and it's supposed to be quite warm this week so it might open.

Had a good trip.  Hard to believe I'll be going back in about 3 weeks.  All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment