Wednesday, December 11, 2013

On the cusp of 61

Today's the last day before I have to say "I'm in my 60's."  There seems to be a difference between just being 60, and moving on to 61.  I know, it's not a big deal, there's nothing we can do about it, it beats the alternative, etc.  But still...I don't relish being 61.  Even if I'm the youngest of my Hawkeye friends.  None of it helps.  When I look in the mirror in the morning when I get up I see an old person with huge bags under her eyes.  I do perk up, both physically and mentally, by the time I get to work.  It just takes me a bit of time, I guess.

No, I'm not depressed, just contemplative.  It was fun having a birthday on 12/12/12, now it's just turning another year older.

I haven't been doing much besides Christmas preps and watching TV and feeding the stove.  I've started reading the book group book (Susan Vreeland) but have a long way to go and am running out of time.  Book group meets Sunday at my house.  Yikes.  Much cleaning to be done by then, and hopefully a Christmas tree will go up.  Buying it is only half the challenge.

The weather hasn't been much to talk about, but apparently that's about to change.  Cold weather is coming, with temps in single digits (doubtless below zero in Hawkeye).  Everyone is incredibly fussed about this, but honestly, it's not -20, and it IS winter.  We're supposed to have "measurable amounts" of snow Sat. night into Sunday, but no one apparently is willing to predict how much that will be.  Hopefully Donny will plow before 5 Sunday night.  Otherwise book groupers will have fun getting to my house.

I mailed my Italy presents yesterday, which was a great feeling.  I need to get Anna's package in the mail (well, maybe wrap things first).  A friend suggested I drive to Canada to mail her stuff, which doesn't sound like a bad idea.  Maybe Monday after work.  Monday we have a luncheon with the CEF board.  We did this last year (no one is willing to own up to having the idea to do this) and it wasn't great.  Mostly trustees visit with trustees and staff looks on miserably.  I signed up to bring dessert, and gleefully discovered 2 boxes of brownie mix in the pantry last night.  YAY!  I was hoping to be enthusiastic and make some exciting cake or something, but now I feel much better.  Problem solved.

Work is fine.  Full of year-end things, mostly right now we're wrapping up our assessment process for 2013.  Did we accomplish our goals?  Well, sort of.  No, I didn't write the e-book portion of our Collection Development Policy.  I started to but yuck it's just not fun.  I have to have a draft by the time I meet with the director this week.  Well, girlie, get on with it!

I have most of my Christmas shopping done, remarkably.  I have to get something for my cousin & his wife (why we swap gifts is still a mystery to me and my mother)--I hope to hit the studio/gallery of a great potter who's a friend on Saturday and pick out something nice.  I've sent them baskets in recent years, but (sorry) NO ONE is getting a basket this year.

Union Christmas party is tonight.  These parties usually turn out to be more fun than anyone expects (which isn't saying a lot).  Dinner in a restaurant, then as soon as the last fork is put down we all scramble out quickly and go home.  Travel is supposed to be tricky tonight, with snow squalls and slick roads.  Swell, just about my least favorite driving conditions--snow in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment