Friday, August 01, 2014

Heading out soon

It's my last day at work for 2 weeks--I'm off to Rhode Island next week with my sister for a nice long visit.  She's been here all week and we've had a very, very nice time together.  I hear plenty of people say "Oh I wish I could spend time like that with MY sister," and I want to tell them it's a question of arranging it, and it can happen.  Of course, my sister does the arranging part, flying to America and taking the train up here, but we both want it to happen.

I've been staying at the boat house all week with Molly (and the dogs), and it's been grand.  I worked this week but did take Weds. off and we had a good day.  We went to the dump then on to Pbg to get supplies for Sunday dinner.  We're cooking for 12 and it will be at J&M's house because our camp will be full.  Molly is wonderful at planning and executing things like this--thank goodness she's here or I would be struggling.  We've split the cooking this week, eating at the boat house on the porch.  Molly has done a ton of work, cleaning and arranging and painting there.  It looks really nice and is organized at last.

We have our annual family meeting tomorrow and it looks as if there will be a good crowd.  Some years we have a lot of people, other years not so many.  It's nice that Molly will be here for it.  Jenica et al. will come.  Many cousins will be there as well.

Work is fine.  I finished weeding the adult fiction, having handled each of our 8,000 books.  The stacks look good and I'm proud of the achievement.  Now I have to finish the non-fiction.  Yikes.  This will be my legacy--neat stacks.

Treasure is fine and pretty much back to normal.  She still coughs a bit now & then but certainly has enough energy.  Tess is doing well, too.  Molly & I were trying to scan something at my house the other day and having no luck getting it to work.  We kept hearing a sound that was promising, sounding like something being scanned.  Oh how hopeful we were, until Molly realized that it was Tess snoring and not the scanner.  How many advanced degrees does it take to make a mistake like that?  Very funny.

Bill hosted Sunday dinner last week, providing a huge Thanksgiving meal.  There were a lot of people there, at least 13 or 15, and there was plenty of food.  Molly & I left a little early because we were having problems with the pump at camp and people were due to arrive soon.  Finally got the water situation worked out and all seems to be just fine now.

I finished the book group book (Orphan train) and enjoyed it.  It's very good, but probably not excellent.  Better than Bees, that's for sure.  It's so interesting to ponder the things our country thought of doing in it's history--shipping orphans out to the Midwest on trains and doling them out like prizes to people who didn't have to prove they'd provide good homes.  Now I'm reading another Jonathan Tropper book.  He's always entertaining but this book is a bit gloomier than some of the others.

My Midwestern friends are gathering this weekend and I'm not there.  They returned to Lake Geneva and have a good crowd.  They've been posting pictures on Facebook so I get to enjoy the reunion from afar.

I'm looking forward to my RI trip, much of my family will be there at the same time (minus Molly's children and husband).  My mother is pretty tense about it, I think, but it will all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment