Saturday, February 14, 2015

Danger Will Robinson

It was -8 this morning and everyone is hysterical about the dropping temps tomorrow and tomorrow night.  Lots of publicity for wind chills of -40 to -50.  Well, I don't have much faith in wind chill--all I know is that if it's windy and below zero it feels very cold.  At least we're not supposed to get the blizzard that's expected south and east of here.  It snowed all day but we only ended up with a few inches.

I had an exceptionally lazy day.  Up around 5, warmed up the house, talked to my mother then went to the dump.  Took a long way home just because I like to do that.  Then I settled in for the day and really did practically nothing but watch TV and pet the dogs.  The dogs took off the other day and were gone for 2 1/2 hours.  I was worried but had tracked them down Old Hawkeye Rd past the Holts so at least wasn't worried about cars.  They came home, finally, but poor Tess was really lame for the rest of the day and into the next day.  She's good now but certainly does move more slowly than she used to.  I think about life without her, which will be hard for Treasure and me but I guess his is how I work my way into dog euthanasia.

I have the tail end of my cold now, a nagging cough and congestion.  I went to Saranac Lake and bought good cough med. and more Sudafed so I keep everything under control.  It's just lingering now.  I finished the book I was reading last night.  The author's name is Celeste Ng.  How do you pronounce that?  Ng.  It was a good book but pretty depressing.  Nicely written.  Now I'll start the new Anne Tyler book IN PRINT.  I've been using the 2 Kindles I have--one is an old one, borrowed from a friend, and the other is my new Fire.  It will be strange to handle a book again.  I bought a copy of the book thinking I would read it then send it to my mother, but she needed something to read so I ordered several books for her, including Anne Tyler.  She (like me) has a house full of books but likes to read NEW books.  I'm keeping a list of books to read, or at least read reviews of.  Collection development was one of the favorite tasks of my job so I still have a keen eye on book publishing,  I don't know how long I'll keep this up, but it's fun now.

No big plans or tomorrow or Monday.  I'll see P&J tomorrow and probably not leave the house much on cold, cold Monday.  I feel so very fortunate to be at home during this weather, keeping the house warm and the stove stoked.  I have 2 commitments next week, 1 is volunteering at the county Historical Association and the other is lunch with Barb.  YAY.

I called some friends the other day and found out that one of them was just diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.  That was pretty depressing news and I haven't really taken it all in yet.  Our friend Barb N. is doing better, I hear, which is fantastic news.  I know we need to expect problems and illnesses as we age, but it sure is a drag.

Dogs are just fine and such good companions.  I had a long talk with Annie yesterday.  She & Rush are in Calif. while he accepts his new position at the AAAS, having spent 2 weeks in Yosemite before going to San Jose.  Their lives will change dramatically as they will gradually move to D.C.

Happy Valentine's Day.  Mark sent me a new toy and some candy and my mother sent me a card addressed to ASF Frozen Northland, Snow Country USA.  That address was on the inside, of course--although I sometimes get mail with strange addresses, I don't think that one would have made it to me.  Maybe, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment