Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Early morning musings

Sometimes, if you go to bed early enough you get enough sleep so that when you get up at 2:00 a.m. you feel refreshed and energetic.  That happens to me sometimes, though not as often as it used to.  If you don't have to go to work it doesn't matter much what hours you keep (though my doctor told me to sleep at night because he has too many patients who stay up all night and sleep during the day--I try to do what my doctor suggests).  I've been getting up at 6 or 6:30 every morning and enjoying the time.  The dogs are interested in eating and going outside, then they collapse and snore.  I love the way they're in a big hurry to get up so they can go back to sleep.  Right now they're both snoring here in the living room with me.  Very peaceful sound.

I haven't been doing much (it seems that's pretty much all I say these days).  I volunteer at the Historical Society for a couple of hours on Wednesday mornings, and that's going pretty well except I made a bunch of mistakes last week and am hoping no one will have noticed that by this week.

Today I'm going to Plattsburgh.  I have a hair appointment, then lunch with Barb, then a bunch of errands.  I need some groceries--I seem to need groceries every week but am spending less than I used to.  I guess it's a frame of mind when you live far from decent stores that, when you're in the vicinity of decent stores you buy things.  Stocking up.  I also need birdseed and a few other non-grocery things.  I've cut way back on the number of trips.  I'm down to 2 days a week in Plattsburgh, mostly for banking, groceries, lunch with friends.

I'm having serious septic problems, a first for this house.  Something is frozen, either the pipe to the tank or the leach field, so I have very limited facilities.  My shower doesn't drain into the tank so that's fine.  I have easy access to the Holts' house so it's pretty much just and inconvenience.  I don't know exactly where my septic tank is, and it would require a backhoe to get to it right now so I'm just living with it.  Does this make any sense?  Not really, but I think I'm just happy to have running water so I can deal with anything else.

I'm off to RI next week for my mother's 89th birthday and flushable toilet.  This week I'm not doing much, lunch in Pbg with friends twice, hair appointment, and my weekly volunteering at the Historical Association.  I do enjoy my work there but last week I made a bunch of mistakes and didn't have time to correct them all.  Rats.  I'm not sure what I'll be doing this week--I finished scanning the photos in one cabinet and maybe there are more.  They seem to be happy with my work but that's just because they haven't discovered my mistakes.

I've been spending time with the Brousseaus because their son Jon was diagnosed with leukemia last week.  Very scary and sad.  He was in the hospital in Burlington last week but is home now with oral chemo.  The doctors were encouraged by early results of the chemo so we're all hopeful.

I play with my Kindle Fire a lot.  Cheap e-books are a treat so I'm building quite a library.  I read The girl on the train, which has been touted as the new Gone girl.  It's well written and a good read.  Not so much like Gone girl but similar.  I can't say I've come across any great literature lately but I'm reading every night.

Dogs are fine, I am fine, life is good.  It's now 5 degrees outside, but that's PLUS five.  It was -7 on Sunday morning but has warmed up since then and there's no sub-zero in the forecast..  Zero, yes, but not sub-zero.  It was almost 20 on Sunday and in the 20's yesterday so there's hope.  The snowbanks along the road are starting to get granular, which is a sign of late, late winter.  Frost heaves are not as bad this year, which seems strange considering the harshness of the season.

I have plenty of birds at my feeder, but not a wide variety, just chickadees, woodpeckers, nuthatches and blue jays.  The chickadees are very dear and greet me when I fill the feeder.  They've started singing their spring song, one of the earliest signs of a change of season.  It's coming, it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment