Sunday, June 14, 2015

Even more rain

We have had some good days but we have had a huge amount of rain.  The lake is very high--maybe it's time to tear apart the beaver dam at the foot of the lake.

It's been a busy time but far from hectic.  We've had a few group dinners, culminating in today's Thanksgiving dinner at J&M's.  Joe fried a turkey, which was delicious.  Everyone brought something and because there were a lot of people there sure was a lot of food.  Yum.  We had sauerkraut, furnished by Linda as part of a Baltimore tradition.  It's very good with turkey.

We had book group at Linda's and that was good.  Everyone liked the book and we're reading The orchardist next.  I started it and really like it.  Good story, great characters.  I took it to Linda's dock yesterday afternoon but we just sat there and I didn't read a sentence.  We like to sit on her dock with binoculars and keep track of what's going on around the lake.  So watch out, anyone at the foot of the lake, we can see you.

I've stayed in the boat house a few nights.  When it's in the 50's I usually stay at home.  I like being at home, I like being in the boat house.  Oh what a lucky girl!

Lin & I opened main camp on Thursday.  It was a lot of work, more maybe than other years because of the influx of furniture.  We found places for things, vacuumed, washed, arranged, and it's ready to go.  Most people are coming 4th of July weekend so I hope the pine pollen won't be too bad.  It's supposed to rain this week, which should help wash it out of the trees.

This week I'm taking the car in for an oil change and will hopefully have lunch with Julie afterward.  That's Tuesday.  Thursday I'm going to RI, after coffee in the morning with the Nadals.  I'm staying in RI until Monday, not planning anything specific for the visit, it's just time to be there.

The mailbox saga continues, and I continue to go to town for my mail a few times a week.  Big sigh.  The postmistress is hot to have my mailbox returned to it's rightful place but it's a big fight.  I said I'd move my mailbox but she said "No, don't do that, we're winning."  OK, I won't do anything but keep driving 15 miles to get my mail.

Oh, has anyone heard about the escaped inmates near here?  Ha!  They won't come to Hawkeye but they're about 20 miles away, or so people seem to think.  I woke last night, convinced they were coming to my house but of course I talked myself out of that quickly--they wouldn't walk down a dirt road looking for a place to hide.  I don't know if they're still in the area but it would be nice if they were caught.  900 law enforcement officials is a lot of people for this area.  Lots of roadblocks but nothing very close.

Weather has been OK but as I said, lots of rain.  Yesterday and today I spent some time reading on the deck and the black flies weren't bad--there was a breeze yesterday and that kept them away.  I mowed the lawn this morning and the deer flies were worse than the black flies.  Nothing unbearable and nothing like it used to be.  Tonight I'll sleep in the boat house, it's pretty hot and humid here at home.

Dogs are doing well.  Tess limps sometimes, and she doesn't really run, she sort of hops with her hind legs.  She snores a lot, and Treasure has started snoring too.  Do I snore? 

No comments:

Post a Comment