Monday, June 01, 2015

Rain, rain and more rain

I know we needed rain, but if we could just have a brief break I could walk (instead of drive) to camp to fill the hummingbird feeder at the boat house.  Although I suppose I could wear a raincoat.  I'll look into that.

I got the boat house opened and ready for occupants.  There are still things in need of attention, mostly things we need to dispose of but that can wait until I have help.  Lin is going to open main camp with me so maybe when that happens we can deal with some of the boat house stuff.

I had a nice week, no complaints.  Lots of social contact even though we haven't had the official arrival of summer yet.  I did travel a bit more than maybe I should have, but I got things accomplished.  I only went to Plattsburgh once, on Friday, when I had lunch with Barb and ran many errands.  That's the way to do it, save your errands up.  It was very hot during the week so I stayed in the boat house two nights, very pleasant.  Always a nice breeze so it was good sleeping weather.

I got all of my flower plants put in containers.  I think I bought too many plants because I think I have too many containers.  I took 2 to the boat house and have a deckfull here at home.  They're all getting a good soaking, that's for sure.

I spent one day traveling to Westport, needed to get more of Tess' meds.  They're expensive at $5 per pill, though she only takes half a pill a day.  The vet's assistant suggested I look online, which is a good plan.  The med. is just an anti-inflammatory and it seems to be working well.  Tess limps sometimes, and definitely doesn't rely on her bad leg, but she's game and happy.

It got very cold yesterday, the temp was 45 when I got up, and it wasn't much warmer today.  I had a fire in the wood stove and now the house is too hot.  I've been doing a few things in the kitchen--cleaned out old pots & pans & lids that I don't use, washed the windows, made iced tea.  I have a long list of things to get done in the house and should be focusing on what's listed instead of making up new chores just because I don't feel like cleaning out the closets upstairs.

I called my insurance agent today, prompted by a note from someone at the agency.  Embarrassing enough, I still have my ex-husband's name on the homeowner's insurance policy.  This is bad, very bad and I'm having that changed.  I have to go to the office, though, with a full folder of documents.  She just said to bring anything that would be relevant or prove he's no longer involved.  I have the deed in my name, our divorce decree, tax receipts, 1040, mortgage papers.  I couldn't think of anything else and I really don't believe it should be so complicated.  The agent said it's much harder to take someone's name off a policy than it is to add one.  Well hell, am I the first person to get divorced?  I'm hoping this won't be as complicated as she made it sound.

This morning I drove to get the paper, then had a hankering for a Maplefield's cup of coffee, so I drove 10 miles to get one.  I visited with a man I used to see every day there, when I was on my way to work.  He's retired and spends early mornings at a table there.  Everyone knows him, he's a retired Forest Ranger, and is pleasant.  He laughed--hard--when he saw me there, joining in the routine.  I won't make that a habit, but it was nice and the coffee was good.

Big news in dogs is that Treasure decided she likes being wet.  She has always avoided the water, although I know she can swim (I made her do that once).  Last week during the heat she walked right into the water and splashed around for a pretty long time, got out, got back in, etc.  My sister has spent a huge amount of time trying to convince Treasure that getting wet is a good thing, all to no avail until it was Treasure's idea.

Not much going on this week.  Tomorrow I think I'll go to town and maybe have lunch with a friend, will visit the insurance agent.  Friday night I'm having dinner with friends here at the lake.  The weather is supposed to be nice starting on Weds. and I hope to mow my lawn then.  Grass is long and the driveway needs mowing.

Last year's robin is back and has built a nest in the same bathroom window as she did last year.  I assume it's the same one, but who knows, really.  She hates it when I take a shower.  Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment