Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Dog day of July

It's hot today, and was hot yesterday.  There's a cool breeze, every once in a while.  The sun's out right now but it's supposed to rain hard this afternoon.  I have a friend coming for lunch, or after lunch, or sometime today.  I cleaned the living room (YAY) but it was more work than I was interested in doing so there's still dog hair on the floor and dust on some surfaces.  It's endless, this housekeeping thing.

It was a busy week, now is quieter I think.  Thursday Linda & I went to Platts. to run errands and have some fun.  Thursday night I had dinner with Annie Holt, always a treat.  Her brother + cousin plus wives were there and it was a nice occasion.

Friday morning I had coffee with Fred and Linda on Fred's porch, looking out at the lake.  It was cold, well, cool, not cold, and the no-see-ums were out but that didn't stop us and we went out to breakfast after visiting a while.

Friday Jenica came with her family and summer visitors, staying in the boat house for the night. We visited and had dinner at Hot Dog Man.  Food there is not good except for the ice cream but it was a simple solution to eating something, and we got to sit in the shade at a picnic table.  Very nice.  Gwyn is very cute and reminds me a lot of Jenica at that age, walking around and interested in so many things.

Saturday morning was coffee with Fred yet again, after which was the annual family meeting.  A lot of cousins in attendance, 4 generations represented.  It was peaceful, which it mostly is these years.  We made no major decisions, really, and determined that things at camp are pretty much OK except for the roof and the post supporting the porch.  Those things need attention.  One cousin brought his tractor from Syracuse and, with others did a huge amount of work on the road to camp.  It had washed out in a lot of places so this was a great thing to have done.  Road is now in good shape.  I'd love to have the tractor make a visit to my driveway but I don't like to ask.

Lunch after the meeting with lots of visiting, then rest time and I came home.  Linda had a nice 4th of July party, lots of good food and company.  Holly and Chris are here and I really like being with them.  I didn't stay long--was tired from the family time.

Sunday morning we had Holly join us at Fred's, which was nice.  We couldn't stay long because it was the morning of the road clean-up that the shoreowners' association does each year.  I got teamed with Fred and we had a good time and collected enough garbage to make it worth doing.  After the clean-up came the meeting and that was fine and didn't last long.

I stopped at Joe & Martha's, came home and got a call from Duncan.  It was the women's WORLD CUP and he & Sue were going to watch it at Linda's so I joined them.  That was great fun, with of course a great outcome.

Yesterday I had a really nice time with Duncan and Sue on their porch.  We visited a long time, which was really nice.  It was a beautiful morning, sunny and peaceful.  I went to Plattsburgh after that, had to pick up some things.  Nothing much of interest there.  I picked up prints of pictures I took of the cousins, none were noteworthy, really, but I'll send a bunch to my mother (labeled).  I had a quiet night, sitting in the house sweating and cleaning the living room.  Early to bed, slept very well in spite of the heat and humidity.

Tomorrow is Erdvilas' 70th birthday and Linda is having a party.  It will be nice, with a campfire and delicious food.  Good company.  Thursday Jenica & Justin arrive, here for the weekend with Justin's family at camp.  Hoping for good weather.

Things are good.  I am happy and rested after taking a bit of a break from family and friends.  This morning I cleaned and lunch is ready for my company (if she finds the house OK).  No plans for tonight so maybe I'll just relax.  The dogs went for a long walk just now and only Treasure came home.  I'm expecting a phone call from someone, telling me where she is.  Or maybe I'll get lucky and she'll find her own way home.  A girl can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment