Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Tess and I like Dock Days

 Tess swims a bit, then suns on the big rock.  I think every camp has a "Big Rock" along the shoreline.  We have 2, one at each dock.  Our neighbors have a bigger Big Rock. 

And I smile.  It was a very, very nice dock day.  Temps in the 80's, the water was cool but not at all cold, and there was a slight breeze to keep us cool.  Ahhhhhh.  This is what I had in mind when I retired, all I wanted was to have a summer without going to work.  Lucky me!
Lots of social life these days, plenty of time spent with Linda as well.  I made pickles, using a recipe from long ago.  My friend Barb and I used to make these pickles every year by the gallon, then eat the out of the jar.  They're sort of like bread & butter pickles only much better.
This morning I'm having coffee with friends who are leaving the lake today.  I'm hoping to convince them to return for Columbus Day and stay with me.  Then I'll make another batch of pickles.  Then I'll go to the dump.  Then I'll sit on the dock, if the sun comes out.  Tonight I'm having dinner with friends who invited my dogs to joins us.  I'll only take Treasure--Tess is easily bored and stares at me when she thinks it's time to go home (and that is always sooner than I'm ready to go).

The weather has been good but we could use a little rain.  The plants on my deck have pretty much died or pooped out.  I didn't show much interest in them this year.  The dogs picked the tomatoes.  I ate a few cucumbers.  The flowers looked nice for a while but I didn't deadhead them enough.  Today is dump day--I have my garbage, boat house garbage, camp garbage and friends' garbage so it will definitely be worth the trip. 

I've had a really good summer.  My only complaint is that I thought I'd be more productive--but uh-oh, my social life got in the way.  Most retired friends agree that we're less ambitious than we hope we'd be because we don't have to do anything today, there's always TOMORROW.  I have a long list of things to get done around the house, and only 2 items have been checked off and completed.

Not much else going on.  Dogs are all right.  Tess is old.  Treasure is good.  The people I'm seeing tonight are waiting for a puppy from the same breeder I get my dogs from.  She's expensive but boy oh boy these are nice dogs.  I had a good visit with a cousin & his wife recently--they're big Lab fans and love love love to visit with my dogs.  So my dogs love them.  REALLY love them.  They go bounding into camp (the dogs, not the cousins) and run to the front porch where Rob & Betsy are.  PET ME PET ME PET ME.  It's very sweet.

I've been reading quite a bit, nothing terribly notable but some good stuff.  What a luxury and joy.  Is retirement what I'd hope it would be?  All that and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment