Saturday, September 26, 2015

Busy week

The week got off to a good start, with my dental report that there's NOTHING wrong with my teeth.  I have to go back to have my permanent retainer re-glued in 2 places, but there are no other problems.  Yay for that--I get hysterical going to the dentist because of my childhood experiences of drilling without novacaine, if anyone can imagine that.  What a nasty dentist Dr. Kyle was!  He traumatized all three of us children but we moved on.  More or less.

My car, with 21,000 miles on it, was making a horrible noise, rear end sounding like grinding brakes.  I took it to the dealer in Burlington, where I bought it, and they kept it overnight.  It was indeed the rear brakes, which were replaced under warranty.  Another yay for me.  Two trips to Burlington two days in a row is tiring, that's for sure, but I did have fun shopping while I was there.  Once to Trader Joe's and once to Barnes & Noble.  Two of my favorite spots.  Did I spend a lot?  Well, yes, but I had to make it worth the trip.

I went to Plattsburgh again yesterday to run errands, a quick trip with the dogs.  Today was Lin & Raph's cider pressing.  I went with Linda, we met Marylou there and had a great time.  It was cold here this morning, 31 degrees, but it had warmed up by the time we were at the pressing and the sun was warm and bright.  Linda & I took the ton of wild apples we'd picked--Ralph swears that wild apples make the most flavorful cider so he was pleased to see them.  There was a guitar-playing singer there who had fun entertaining us all.  Ralph makes guitars and he played one of them for a song, which we all liked.  He sang a Stephen Foster song, which made me smile.  My 5th grade teacher was the music teacher and she had us sing Stephen Foster songs all the time, but only the racist ones.  According to her the best musician ever was Liberace.  Of course, she didn't live long enough to catch the musicians of later years.  But there never was another Liberace.

Tomorrow is the neighborhood breakfast at the Blue Heron.  Minards, McDougalls, Linda & Erd., me, the Holts and maybe some others will be there.  Should be nice but I bet it will be a tad cool on the screened porch at 9 a.m.  Linda is making pancakes, Sue is making a strada, I'm taking juice and cider.  It will be great--it's an annual thing.

The coming week has a few events.  Monday I'm due in Keene Valley, where the library director thinks I'm going to volunteer to work in the archives.  I don't know what I'll do about it, but I do know I won't go there every week.  I don't want another voluntary obligation.

Tuesday I'm having my stovepipe cleaned.  I haven't had a fire yet this season, am just waiting for the cleaning.  What's up for the rest of the week?  Probably lunch with Julie on Weds., a birthday dinner for Bill on Thursday at Linda's.  That's it.  Maybe yoga on Tuesday night with Sue, but maybe not.

Things are good, very good.  Retirement is a great gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment