Thursday, October 22, 2015

Not much color left

I got back from visiting my mother in Rhode Island--I was there from last Thursday until this Tuesday.  Traveling was easy, no traffic.  I made really good time on my trip home, cut nearly half an hour off my best time.  That was a treat.

We had a good visit, spent time at the beach.  I went with my mother to a favorite spot and we sat there for a while.  Mark & I took the dogs to the beach on a cold morning when there was no surf and mist on the ocean.  Very pretty.  I took my mother grocery shopping, banking, shoe shopping, more grocery shopping, and to the fish market to get lobsters.  Lobs were pretty cheap and very tasty.

I thought the trees would be bare when I got home but there is still some color in the woods.  Not much, and it's all golds and a few yellows.  The tamaracks are starting to turn and they're pretty much the last of the color we get.  I like looking into the naked woods--I'd forgotten how much I appreciate that.  Lots of leaves on the ground, lots of brown and gray in the woods.  Very peaceful.

Today I went to Lake Placid to have lunch with my friend Julie.  The NY librarians are having their annual conference there this week so the place was crawling with librarians.  Yikes.  And I used to be one of those people.  It was funny seeing so many people with their nametags and blue NYLA bags walking around town.  We went to a restaurant far from the convention center but there were still a few librarians there anyway.  I visited with the people at the public library, who miss me and my work routines (things have changed a lot since I left)(and I don't really care).

Yesterday I went to Plattsburgh, needed some groceries and got some banking done.  I do like being in town on weekdays.  There was no real traffic on my trip today, I like having the roads to myself--who doesn't?

All the summer people are gone.  Linda was the last to leave, on Friday.  We email daily, often more than once a day, it's not the same as being together but not a bad substitute.  I email my sister daily, too.  Anyway, without the summer people the neighborhood is quiet.  Not much traffic on OHR, that's for sure.  I've been walking Treasure to the mailbox every day--I have to have to have to get more exercise and lose weight.

I keep getting messages from my dog breeder delaying my puppy play dates.  I'm hoping to get over there next week.  One of her bitches just had 7 chocolate puppies, but those are too young for me to play with.  I guess I'll probably return to the Keene Valley library next week to do more work in the archives--that depends on the director's schedule.  Those are my 2 volunteer activities for this fall.

This weekend I'll clean the house for book group Sunday eve.  There are only 3 of us now that the summer people have left.  It's funny to call it a book group when it's a trio but we do read a book every month.  I'll also deliver my old television to Julie in Keene.  I bought a new (cheap) one to use with Roku so need to find a home for my old one.  I'm hoping to get a bunch of stuff cleared out of the downstairs, but the upstairs sure is getting full of stuff.  I have to clear off my deck.  My plants all froze while I was gone.  It was in the teens and snowed twice here.  Time to dump out the planters.  I've put out food for the birds.  Must bring in the rug that Mark sent me home with, which will go in the living room.  Oh there's a long list of tasks.  Linda bought 200 daffodil bulbs and distributed a fair number of them but there are a ton left.  I'll give some to Julie, some to Pat, and plant a lot along my driveway.  Yeah, sure I will.

Life is good.  This is the first fall I've been retired and I sure am enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment