Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Fall color

 The Silver Lake Mtn bluffs.  Better color than this shows, but still not the brilliance we expect.
View along the road in Wilmington.  Again, good color but not what we usually get.  Pretty anyway.

Right now the wind is blowing and leaves are flying off the trees.  There are a lot of bare trees out there, a change from yesterday when there were a lot of bright yellows and the woods were glowing.

I've been helping Linda get ready for her homeward trek, which starts tomorrow.  Today we took massive amounts of stuff to the dump.  The other day we closed Upper Camp.  Last night we went out for dinner (wait, is that helping her get ready? well, sort of).  I'll go there tonight for a final drink and farewell.  I was supposed to go to the dog breeder's this afternoon to play with her puppies but that didn't work out.  Postponed until next week.

I'm leaving for RI tomorrow, a visit just to entertain my mother and Mark.  I'll stay until Tuesday, not a very long visit, and hopefully I can help her get ready for Jenica's visit next weekend.  Liza is looking forward to seeing Jen and especially the baby.  Cute little girl, that one is.

I did a little bit of closing the boat house, mostly just took a look around and made mental notes of what needs to be done.  I guess I'll probably close main camp, too, but not this week.  Those things don't really take much time.  Jamie took out the water but the camp dock is still in (not my problem).  There are still a few other docks in the lake, but not many.  Linda and I had some nice dock time this week, more than an hour of sitting in the sun watching nothing in particular.  It was relaxing and pleasant.  Water is way too cold for swimming, although Sue did swim while she was here, and Annie Klassen says she was in the water this week.  brrrr.

I went to a tea with my friend Julie on the 4th of this month.  It was pretty funny, in a newly-opened coffee place in Keene Valley.  You had to make reservations, and there were 2 tables occupied in the first seating, with 2 more set for the second seating.  Well it was a good experiment, but was probably too expensive for anyone but fools like us. 

Last Sunday I went to the Keene Valley farmers market by myself.  It was great fun and I didn't spend much money, just got a few things.  It was the last market of the season.  Columbus Day weekend wasn't as busy as it usually is, there weren't many people around.  Linda did have some dinner parties and that was fun.  The week before Annie was here with her brother & his wife so I got to spend time with them.  They played with Annie's chain saw and cut some small trees around my driveway.  There is a LOT, a WHOLE LOT more of that needing to be done, especially close to the house.

The dogs are fine.   I was supposed to go to the breeder's this afternoon to play with (socialize) her puppies, but she had a vet crisis so it's been postponed.  I'm considering this my volunteer activity for the winter.  That, plus I spent a couple of hours at the Keene Valley library, working on the books in their archives.  I'll get back to that, I enjoyed doing it and we've set it up very loosely so I can go whenever I want to but there's no great pressure.  At least I'll feel productive.  Maybe.

  The weather has been wonderful, just turning cool lately.  We had a few cool nights and I kept a fire going but mostly it's just warm and sunny.  It's supposed to get very cold (20's) this weekend with a chance of snow, but I'll miss that.  It always snows in October, just a dusting or an inch of wet snow that disappears quickly.  I'm counting on that.

I'll have a good time in RI , always do.  I'll help my mother run errands, visit with her, visit with Mark, read, and relax.  Relax from what???  My life is so non-stressful, what a wonderful thing to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment