Monday, March 09, 2020

A month later

You would think March meant spring in Hawkeye if you were here today!   Temps in the 50's with bright warm sunshine.  Very very nice.  No, really, VERY VERY nice.  I freed Bear's cable, just enough to let him go to the foot of the steps and step into the snow a little bit so he can sit on the top step (one of his favorite pastimes).  Why the cable?   Yesterday the only human contact I had was with the 2 men who drove Bear home from who-knows-how far away he had wandered.  Bad Bad Bear.  I wanted to reward the 2 young men because they went out of their way to find my house and return my dog but all I had to offer them was a $20 bill (too much) and beer.  So I opted for the beer, which one of them took with gratitude.  Boy was it nice of them to bring my dog home.  So Bear's wings have been clipped.

It's been a good month, some snow, some cold, some winter.  March is usually an unpleasant experience here but so far (and I know it's early) it's been quite nice.  February was a busy social time, there were many visitors to Hawkeye and that kept me busy.  Now there is no one here and it's so very quiet.  I did have company today, a friend had come to check on his camps and he stopped in for coffee and a visit.  That was nice but Bear was obnoxious and adoring, wouldn't leave the poor man alone.  My good friends are in Florida for 5 weeks, they're into their 3rd week now I think, and they are my morning walking companions so poor Bear hasn't had much exercise.  He misses them (yeah, right)--well I sure miss them anyway and I know he misses our bog walks.

I'm heading to Rhode Island on Wednesday to celebrate my mother's 94th birthday.  She is still in great shape, happy with her life and doing very well.  I'm looking forward to visiting with her and spending time in RI.  I do like that place.  I'll be back on Monday, back to my routines.  Friends are planning to be here then, they'll stay in their house for a week or so.  That means we'll do some walking and/or gym visitations for sure.

The road to my house is a mess, it's icy and slushy and rutted and just bad to drive on.  What choice do I have?  It's not as bad as it will be I'm sure.  We're due to have rain maybe tonight but definitely tomorrow afternoon.  Oh that will make a real mess.

Things at the thrift store have been fine--busy with plenty of shoppers but not an overwhelming amount of stuff coming in so receiving has been good.  I'm alone in books on Wednesdays, the Book Lady has decided to work only on Saturdays.  I've been alone in receiving a few times but as I say it's not been too busy so I've managed.

We got a negative scanner in the Archives--big excitement!   We have more than 500 negatives to scan and digitize and have started on that project.  We had high hopes for images from the 1890's and early 1900's but oh no, nothing as fascinating as that.  So far we've scanned lots of posed portraits from the 1950's and early 60's.  Rats.  Scanning negatives is soooo much slower than scanning photos so this project will last a long, long time.

Are we worried about COVID-19 here?  Not too much right here in Hawkeye (most of my friends are more concerned with stock market trends than the coronavirus, oh dear).  I worry about my sister in southern Italy but she is OK.  I don't like thinking that I couldn't get to her if there were a crisis and she needed me. 

So tomorrow is a work day.  Today was a dump day and that was great.  I've wrapped my mother's presents and have started packing.  I don't usually do much organizing or packing ahead of time, mostly my pattern is to pack the morning I leave but this time I've had good days to get ready. 

Temps in the 40's tonight, that's usually when I take the plastic off my bedroom window and open the window but I think I'll wait for that--early March is early.


No comments:

Post a Comment