Sunday, February 09, 2020

We can call THIS winter

What a snow storm we had on Friday!  It started with ice on Thursday night, turned to a full day of snow on Friday.  We ended up with something between 18 and 24 inches, depending on which method of measuring you used: my plow man said we had 2 feet because his boots are 20 inches tall and the snow was over his boots.  OK, that sounds good.  Others measured the snow as 18-19 inches, which seems more likely to me but who knows.  Either way it was a ton of snow.  No, really.  The ice didn't help, my car was encased in ice under the snow.  Ugh.

Saturday I went to the dump, traveling roads that were slick but not impossible to navigate.  What I mostly did all day was clean my house.  Friends came for dinner (salmon cooked in a clay cooker along with roasted radishes) and we had a really nice time.  It got cold during the afternoon and evening, was down to -5 when they left.

By this morning it was -21--wow that was a surprise to me!   My house was chilly (58) but not miserable and warmed up with the sun.  We had a gorgeous sunny morning and I went to the gym with friends, came back to their house for coffee and a nice visit.

I made cake for book group tonight, a bourbon apple cake.  Whatever possesses me to try these things?   The cake is good but the bourbon flavor is really strong. 

Tonight I'll cook a pork tenderloin with roasted carrots.  It can't really be called a book "group," in the winter it's just a trio.  Meanwhile I need to come up with something for us to read for the next month.  It's not as if I don't have enough books, I just have to pick one.

My mother's friend emptied her wall-sized bookcase and estimated the total number of books at 1500.  Oh dear, this made me wonder just how many books I have--4 bookcases full, so at least a few hundred.  Why, oh why?

No comments:

Post a Comment