Friday, June 20, 2008

LCT


LCT
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
A few weeks ago I went to Burlington (VT) for doctors' visits. From Plattsburgh you take a ferry across Lake Champlain. At this crossing they run 3 ferries during the day, down to 1 at night. The ferry runs 24 hrs. a day, 365 days a year. Winter crossings are cool because the boat makes a channel through the ice and the channel closes behind the boat. The ice makes a bump bump bump noise as it hits the hull. I love it but it scares some people. Sometimes the lake is so rough that waves splash high enough to wash over the cars.

I took the scariest ride ever one March with Julie. The boat couldn't go straight across because of the wind and waves so we went way up the lake. When we got to the other side my car was encased in ice. Right after we came home they stopped running the ferry. I thought the Coast Guard was going to have to rescue us. It was totally scary. Only once that I remember has a ferry sunk, and only cars were lost, no people. That was at least 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment