Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Who's weather is this?

It's been hot and humid--Midwesterly hot and humid--for about 10 days here. This is so atypical and unwelcome. A couple of days, sure, but for this long? Just not right. Last week the black flies were so thick you really couldn't do any outdoor chores without appropriate coverage. I have a great bug shirt--fine mesh, long sleeves with elastic at cuffs and waist, with a hood. It's not comfortable, but I can plant, mow, function outside for short periods of time. Too hot in it to stay out long, plus you have to wear long pants. Anyway I mowed my lawn last week, and kept on going to the side part that I'd decided was too much work to mow. Wow it looks great.

Black fly season has ended but mosquitoes are fierce. I like to keep the door open at night but just can't. Dogs have a great time when I get home from work because they go in & out, in & out. Cat does too. We have a good life at Woods Run. Yes, in our neighborhood we name our houses and camps. Linda's is Trail's End. Fred's is Pinewood. Bill has The Owl and Morningside (he has two). Neighbors have Rappahannock Lodge. And Cammoosie (which makes me laugh because that's what we called out outhouses, saying it meant "little house in the woods")--we think those people are sort of jerks, they have solar lights lining both sides of their driveway so it looks like a landing strip at night. Very un-camp like. And on it goes.

Today I go to West Chazy, one of our smallest libraries. Really tiny. I'm weeding their adult non-fiction. Two trips of 2 hours each and it's done. A surprisingly good collection, built mostly from donations because they hardly have a book budget. The board recently agreed on a $200/month book budget, not bad for some of our libraries. That's adult & juvenile.

Tomorrow it's Saranac Lake again. I'm making progress on the collection--have worked up to the N's, but the S's will take a long time (Robert Louis Stevenson).

I have my big booger goldfish on the shelf above my desk. I brought him back from RI at Easter--he was bullying the other fish in Liza & Mark's tank, had grown much bigger so they were happy to get rid of him. He's big, more than 4", and in a small tank. He goes back & forth, up & down all day. When I get stuck or bored I stare at him. Do I feel cruel, keeping him in such a small tank? yes, pretty much. But that's all I really have room for. He's waiting for me every morning when the lights come on, in the corner where I feed him. I don't think he's a very nice fish, and I don't think he appreciates the nice life he has here.

Must catalog DVD of The return of Rin Tin Tin and graphic novel Diary of a wimpy kid. I hate graphic novels. Whose idea were they? Oh yeah, blame the Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment