Thursday, April 23, 2009

This is some of the scenery I saw yesterday on my trip to Potsdam. I went to a workshop on cataloging Web resources. Only a cataloger--a TRUE, DEDICATED cataloger would have been able to stand 2 minutes of the workshop. My friend Donna and I spent so much time leaning in toward each other, rolling our eyes and trying not to whisper funny comments. I finally said "This woman is obsessed with fixed fields." OK, all catalogers in the group laugh now. Her mantra was "Content, not format." So remember that, children: Content, not format. Streaming video or DVD, it's all the same. duh.

Anyway, there's this stretch of road, some call it 9 mile wood because it's just a bunch of road with nothing but woods, some murky ponds and dirt roads into conservation easements. I used to drive this road with member library directors often, and every time--no, really every time we got to this part they would start talking about their sex lives. Except for the one who told me about the huge polyp she had in her sinuses. Anyway, I figured it must be the pointed firs that made them think of sex. I got tired of collecting these details. Not to mention trying to pretend I was interested. Most of those directors are long gone and have been replaced by more sensible and discreet people.

Tonight I'm having dinner with my friend Barb and her family. I don't even have to take a shower there, I'm just going to enjoy their company. Great to see people I miss being with, to be part of a group. Well, I'm part of a group all day every day, but tonight's group is one I PICKED to be part of.

I'm having a bit of my Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder, spring version. I have it every spring, get depressed and distracted, unable to care about much. I'm trying to get into gardening stuff, but I planted a bunch of nifty cosmos seeds and only half came up and lots of them are dying of damping off. piss on my foot. I'll get more seeds and try again. And buy seedlings when I can. My violas look pretty perky, though. And crocuses are blooming. And daffs are coming along nicely. And primroses are spreading. And I'm parking on top of the horseradish--evil horseradish--so maybe it won't be so ugly this year. Wish I could remember who wanted it.

I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of other tasks, a long list I wrote in my book of tricks, but I can't manage to function that well. I started working on the lib.'s blog, listing sites our lib's could use to sell their books, but they never read the blog anyway, so I stopped when I got bored. Didn't take long.

warm weather a'comin'. Boat house nights this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. I was on the road yesterday too, but I went all the way to Canton...

    ReplyDelete