Thursday, August 26, 2010

rockford 8 2010 063


rockford 8 2010 063
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Kathy and Ruby (Ruby is the dog, Kathy is one of my closest and best friends, even though we rarely see each other).

On Sunday Priscilla took me on a tour of Rockford. It was wonderful, and we laughed and reminisced. Past our junior high school (a huge building, even bigger than I remembered), past the Midway Theater and the Coronade Theater, where we used to go to Sat. matinees for 35 cents, through downtown--it looks way different now, but we talked about the stores we used to go to. DJ Stewart's was too expensive for me to shop at but we used to go there, to see what we couldn't have I guess. There was a tea room in the basement of the store.

There was a jewelry/record store called Comay's. Of course there were LPs and 45's. You could go into a booth, wear earphones & listen to records to see if you wanted to buy them. Or if you just wanted to listen. Albums were $4.98 for mono, $5.98 for stereo. That was a lot of money and you didn't buy one unless you SERIOUSLY wanted it. Like all of the Beach Boys' albums, in my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment