Tuesday, September 07, 2010

update

I know, I know, it's been a long time.

I've been filling in for my clerk, who took a vacation.  This has meant I don't have time to do my own job, let alone blog.  Now I have a little time at the end of the day, though.

We're waiting for the bookmobile to return--some lady smacked it and reportedly did a lot of damage.  She got the ticket, but how could she not see a bookmobile?

I've been busy at home, too.  Lots of people around, lots of dinners, a wedding, cocktail hours, and lots of visiting.  It's starting to tone down, though--people leave after Labor Day and it will be just the few hardy souls who stay into October.  Plus the locals.  I don't care how many months seasonal residents live here, they're still not locals.  Sorry.

I went to a wedding on Saturday.  It was nice, held on the shore at a huge lodge-type building.  The former main building for a girls' camp that has long since closed.  The bride is a friend, or actually the daughter of a friend.  I went with my friend Joe (he's married, don't get interested in this) and we knew nobody there, out of 150 people, except for 5 other locals.  The couple has a really nice German short-haired pointer, who of course was in the wedding.  They dressed him up in a queer PetSmart doggie tuxedo, and he was the ring bearer.  He behaved well, in spite of the 500 requests that he SIT to have his picture taken.  He's a nice dog.

My dogs are fine.  Tess is suffering from her annual ragweed reaction.  Lots of itching.  Touch her anywhere and she does that air-scratch with her hind leg.  She's taking Prednisone but the ragweed is really prolific this year and it hasn't cured her condition.  Me?  I'm taking something for allergies, too.  Not cortisone, something else, which helps most of the time.  A library building full of dusty books is not a good place for an allergic person to spend time.  Last week I spent a lot of time in the stacks, where many of the books are dusty.  So much for a thorough weeding project, huh.

I had a cocktail party on Sunday.  Doesn't "cocktail party" sound sophisticated, though?  Well, it was a party, and we had cocktails.  I had it in the living room at camp, where I'd built a really nice fire (in the fireplace, of course).  About a dozen people, all very cheerful and happy to be together.  I liked it a lot.  In spite of the fact that we'd had a huge Sunday dinner at noon.  It was fun to have a different group of people gathered, and I do like hosting these things.

Tonight I have NO PLANS.  Tomorrow is a trip to Canton for a committee meeting, dinner with friends at Linda's.  Thursday is dinner with other friends.  Friday I'm taking the day off.  I didn't get much done yesterday, Labor Day.  I didn't labor much, but did clean the bathroom.  A friend was coming to pick up something so I cleaned and tidied up a little.  Then I didn' invite her in.  I know she wanted to visit, but I was not in the mood.  Bad friend, bad, bad friend.

I stayed at the boat house a few nights last week, but those days might have ended.  It's cool at night, and I usually draw the line at 60 degrees.  It's only supposed to be 50 at night this week.  It was 40 one morning.  Besides, my cousins took the docks out on Friday so it's hard to get in the water. 

One of my work goldfish died.  This is big news.  Someone here brought in one from home.  That one has some white, with orange lips, so we figure she must be a female.  Anyone know how to tell a male goldfish from a female?  I can tell guppies apart, but not the goldies.

I must be running out of things to write about.  There should be more, and there is of course, but I have to get some more things done before the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment