Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2011 feb mtn 003


2011 feb mtn 003
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
The view from my road, looking toward my driveway. I think that's Tess, though she doesn't usually walk in the road. She likes to walk on top of snowbanks, maybe so she can look me straight in the eye. No, I think she just likes the novelty.

I'm leaving work early today so I can meet my stove cleaner. I'm on his "will call in Feb." list because when he last cleaned up he decided I needed the extra help of twice a year cleaning. How embarrassing. I'm hoping it's no too bad but I have my suspicions. I'm fearful of burning the house down so I seldom burn the fire hot enough. My mother suffers from the same malady. Anyway, if you don't burn it hot enough creosote builds up. I'm the Creosote Queen.

Because he's coming to clean it, I couldn't have a fire for the previous 24 hours. Of course it would be subzero temps then, -11 yesterday and -4 today. The house was 41 degrees when I got up at 6. Luckily the sun is shining this morining--we built the house at the right angle for good solar heat. One of the few things we actually planned ahead for. The dogs and cat will survive, I'll be home soon. The fish are the warmest beings in the house, there's a heater in the tank.

All is going well these days--had Monday off and did some cleaning. Cleaned the upstairs bathroom, which I don't use (except for the shower). It was dusty and dirty. Now it's sparkling and inviting. I even washed the floor. Now I have to work on the "guest" bedroom. The master bedroom is now my storage facility, so there's only one bedroom upstairs that can accomodate company. My friends the Nadals said they might come in March so I invited them to stay with me. I told them they should be flattered beyond belief because I let NO ONE stay in my house. I barely let people visit. Not because I like to be alone (though that's part of it) but because it's so disorganized and cluttered.

I was hanging out on Sunday, wearing my baggy red Santa pants and a scuzzy top I'd slept in, when a couple of friends showed up. Yegads I guess I should always dress for company. People stop by to visit more often than people are invited. These two have a camp up the lake from ours. She's British, so always a joy to listen to. I was either lonely or nervous because I couldn't shut up, just talked and talked. They like that, though, spared them from having to make conversation and made them feel I was happy to see them. Which I was (sort of).

No comments:

Post a Comment