Tuesday, February 15, 2011

ice palace 2011 007


ice palace 2011 007
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
I went to Tupper Lake yesterday--I'm (slowly) cataloging their local history/special collection. It's intense and a lot of work. It's a long-term project. I leave from home in the morning--it takes about an hour to get there from my house (45 miles). Yesterday it was raining when I left but snowing like hell all the way home. Roads weren't great, got behind a plow at one point, took forever to get home. But I don't mind winter driving--I have no choice.

I stopped in Saranac Lake to see this year's ice palace. Every year there's a winter carnival and the 2 main events are the parade and the building of the ice palace. I love the ice palaces. There's no picture that really does justice to just how grand it is. Blocks of ice are cut from the water near the site and they're mortared together with snow. A huge amount of work, all done by volunteers. They used to have inmates help with it but they've closed that prison (it was minimum security so the inmates could work on civic projects). We always thought it was funny that these inmates were being rehabilitated by building ice palaces and doing trail mantenance. Very handy skills for NYC residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment